Advanced search


(11 Posts)
marysavannah Sat 01-Jan-05 09:22:01

Message withdrawn

fostermum Sat 01-Jan-05 09:40:26

how about care work always willing to take people on to teach them and its mostly common sense anyway

tammybear Mon 03-Jan-05 00:28:42

Hi mary, what qualifications do you have? Im 20, and just about to start a job in an office. Dont have any computer qualifications, but am a fast typer and know how to use the main applications like Word and Excel. References can come from your school since you havent worked before. Or there is working in shops, like maybe superstores who can be offer a range of hours. Have you thought of going to the job centre and see whats available? xxx

colditzmum Mon 03-Jan-05 00:50:58

If you go for care work, there are often hours to suit, and they are used to mothers of young children. (I am a care worker and toddlermummy).

For part-time work, you will probably be offered 6am to 10 am, or 4pm til10 pm,. The full time shift pattern is often 7;30 am to 2;30 pm, 2pm to 8;30 or 9;30 pm, and a night shift is 8 or 9;30 pm til when ever the morning shift starts. If you are only nineteen, try to go somewhere that will pay you the FULL minimum wage ie; 4;85ph. You probebly won't be offered much more than that unless you live in a big city.

Try not to go anywhere that offers you the minimum wage for your age, because you will be expected to do the same amount of work, staff turnover can be very high and you could find yourself in supervision of someone who is paid more than you.

They are required by law to do a criminal record check, they are also required by law to offer you NVQ training. Don't let them charge you for this, they get it paid for by the government if you are under 25 (like me!)

It is a nice job if you can do it, it IS mostly commen sense, and as you have had a child I imagine your stomach isn't delicate and you can run a washing machine!!

Good luck, MS, I hope you find what you are looking for

marysavannah Mon 03-Jan-05 10:47:50

Message withdrawn

tammybear Mon 03-Jan-05 11:11:20

I think you're allowed to get one from the school, and the other would have to be from someone like a family friend. I think thats allowed, but best to check with another mumsnetter who may know. Most jobs like to see that you have good grades in Maths and English. xxx

marysavannah Tue 04-Jan-05 08:17:12

Message withdrawn

RedKa Tue 04-Jan-05 12:19:48

If you live in a Sure Start area you might be able to get some advice on getting into work and maybe training and help with childcare. Or your local job centre might be able to help.

Have you thought about going back to college first to build on your qualifications?

Keep an eye on the press and you might see something that's worth trying that you hadn't thought of.

somebody Wed 05-Jan-05 08:08:33

Message withdrawn

somebody Fri 07-Jan-05 09:23:25

Message withdrawn

nailpolish Fri 07-Jan-05 09:28:26

do you live near a hospital? contact the human resources dept and they will have lots of work surely - not just nursing but in theatres, labortories, offices etc and they all do training. the work involved may be shifts, and will have an option for part time. the nhs has a policy to be family friendly (so will listen to your requests to work specific days) or they should, anyway

good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: