Advice on choosing between 2 job offers

(9 Posts)
Justanticipating Thu 10-Jun-21 10:23:18

Anca123456

*@Justanticipating* I decided to accept the job offer from the bank.

I managed to talk with some people that work for those companies and the retail company wasn't for me, people there come and go and the communication with the management is not great. I don't see myself working there long term.

The bank agreed to flexible working hours and will allow me to work from home 1 day a week. All the people I've talked to were happy with the company, they've been with the company for a couple of years already and all said it's family friendly. If will be hard as I don't know anything about the the business and I am not familiar with the technologies they are using but it's a great opportunity ... I just couldn't let it slip.

I will start in July and I am already preparing my daughter, her dad will take her to nursery and I will pick her up. I still don't know how I will manage to do that ... but I will make it work somehow smile

Thank you everyone for all your support, you've been so helpful!

That's fab they've agreed, it's a good job you asked.
Good luck, I've heard 1 or 2 banks are good to work for and if its stable then there's tons of of opportunities. Sounds like you've made the right choice.
Hopefully nursery will be flexible with your pick up times, I'm sure it'll work out. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it!

Anca123456 Wed 09-Jun-21 21:49:28

@Justanticipating I decided to accept the job offer from the bank.

I managed to talk with some people that work for those companies and the retail company wasn't for me, people there come and go and the communication with the management is not great. I don't see myself working there long term.

The bank agreed to flexible working hours and will allow me to work from home 1 day a week. All the people I've talked to were happy with the company, they've been with the company for a couple of years already and all said it's family friendly. If will be hard as I don't know anything about the the business and I am not familiar with the technologies they are using but it's a great opportunity ... I just couldn't let it slip.

I will start in July and I am already preparing my daughter, her dad will take her to nursery and I will pick her up. I still don't know how I will manage to do that ... but I will make it work somehow smile

Thank you everyone for all your support, you've been so helpful!

OP’s posts: |
Justanticipating Wed 09-Jun-21 20:56:31

Curious which one did you go for?

I think the retail one sounds much better. I went to work for a big bank and although I learnt a lot it was very unstable, I went through redundancy 2 (nearly 3) times in a short time.

Taswama Tue 25-May-21 10:47:04

I would say rather than agreeing exact start and finish times, I would agree a minimum of one day wfh and flexibility to manage your own hours. As your dc grows up you don't want to have to renegotiate start and finish times as her needs change, or train timetables change.

Anca123456 Tue 25-May-21 09:59:35

@HappyWinter Thank you! You are right, I have to think longer term as well ... and I would prefer the financial company, it offers better opportunities long term. And with a small child you don't want to change jobs often.

@Taswama They said they are very flexible in terms of working hours but I will clarify this before accepting the offer. I will make sure they agree on the exact starting and finishing time.

@Pinetreesfall Commute is so stressful! Mine is not that bad just that I have to take a train and there are often delays.

I am at the final stages of the negotiations with the financial company and I will ask 1 day a week to work from home.
My partner can help with the nursery runs, he will try to drop her off and I will pick her up. She won't like this but we will have to find a way for it to work.

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts! You've raised very used points!

Pinetreesfall Mon 24-May-21 22:22:41

It's stressful but make sure your nursery hours cover your commute.
The amount of times I have been willing the M5 to move quicker to get back for nursery pickup (and that's with a generous time buffer involved).
I work full time and also study and I often really wish I had one extra day to spend with my boys. I miss them a lot and yes I would earn less but my nursery fees would be less. Also once they are at school I would have just one day to do something for me.
Although more money may be tempting I would say time is more precious to be honest. I'm early 30's and it's burning me out tbh!

Taswama Mon 24-May-21 22:22:30

Can you list the pros and cons for each company?
More money is great but that's the only positive you mention about the financial company. Do they have flexibility (hours / wfh) for example.
Do you have a DH / DP who can share nursery runs, sick days etc?

Advertisement

HappyWinter Mon 24-May-21 22:17:58

Try thinking about how you will feel in a year's time. Which job would you prefer to have? The time will go very quickly so don't just make your decision on the here and now, factor in the future too. Would you prefer to take the financial job and enjoy the time with your daughter at the weekend instead? Congratulations on your job offers and your return to work smile.

For the school run, does your daughter's potential school have breakfast clubs and after school clubs? For nursery, it was always a rush but you do manage. Can you share drop offs and pick ups with your partner (if you have one)? If you are both working, don't let the burden fall on you alone. We have used working from home for when the kids are sick. They have far too much TV time, but it works. Would the financial institution be flexible with this? There's a lot to think about, you will know what works best for you.

Anca123456 Thu 20-May-21 22:44:16

Dear mums,

I am returning to work after taking a 3 years break to take care of my daughter and I've got job offers from 2 very different companies. One is from an online fashion retailer, 4 days a week (I've asked for part-time), very flexible, great company culture, possibility to work from home, trainings to get to speed with the latest technologies (I am a software developer), the other one is from a bank, full-time, small team and lots of money.

I am very thorn between the 2 ... I always wanted to work for a financial institution and they are paying so well but I am afraid I won't have time for my daughter. At the other company I will have an extra day to take her to museum and do stuff together. She will start school next year so I don't have much time left. They are both great companies and if it wasn't for the return to work programmes I wouldn't have passed the technical interviews ... such great opportunities. I feel like I owe more to my daughter ... even though I've already spend 3 years at home with her. She is a very demanding, high emotional and moody, not very easy to be around. Sometimes I am thinking I've already done so much and maybe she is not worth it.

Anyone has been in a similar situation? How to you manage nursery/schools run when you have a demanding job. What do you do when the child is sick and you have to take time off without prior notice.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in