Talk

Advanced search

How do you explain time off with kids

(7 Posts)
gigi556 Mon 07-Sep-20 11:32:17

Wasn't really sure how to word the subject!
My son starts nursery next week and I'm looking for work. I started a small business part-time when he was one so I have been doing self-employed work but I really need to earn more money hence looking at jobs.
I got an MSc in 2013 and had worked in related jobs before having my son in 2017, but I'm looking to re-start this career and need to apply for trainee jobs to get a professional qualification. Never pursued this qualification in previous roles. So how do I address the 6/7 year gap between my MSc and wanting a "trainee" role to qualify. Should I say, I've been taking time off from this career to look after children/family? Or say nothing? I'm just not sure how it's going to look... Or if anyone is even going to be interested in me! I feel so old sad

OP’s posts: |
toomanyspiderplants Mon 07-Sep-20 11:37:21

Don't say nothing! you need to explain the gap. you have been looking after your son and started a business. .just say that. explain the business. its quite impressive!

FlorenceNightshade Mon 07-Sep-20 18:03:35

You’ve been running a business!! That’s amazing experience right there you are selling yourself short OP!

You just say something like you did your Msc then focused on family and developed a business that fitted in with that and now your ready to follow your first love.

Good luck

gigi556 Mon 07-Sep-20 19:53:10

Thanks for your replies @toomanyspiderplants and @FlorenceNightshade. I've always had a confidence issue with career stuff. I'm always focusing on what I haven't achieved and everything I've done wrong rather than my strong points. 😕 And I'm worried that having a family is going to put people off hiring me.

FlorenceNightshade Mon 07-Sep-20 20:07:04

@gigi556 it’s not a negative thing saying you’ve raised your family and are looking to re-enter your field. In fact I’ve been told that mentioning stuff like that shows your unlikely to take more maternity time off as you have your family already. But that’s kinda gross

gigi556 Mon 07-Sep-20 20:34:53

We haven't decided if we'll have any more kids... I'd like to but DH isn't sure. I can't see myself taking much time off if we do just because I do want to get back into my field and progress.

Shamrocksunshine Sat 26-Sep-20 20:55:52

Why would you need to explain yourself? I had ten years off raising mine and have never once felt the need to explain it. I just simply put this time was spent raising young children.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in