Talk

Advanced search

When to hand in notice?

(11 Posts)
BarbiesWorld Fri 21-Aug-20 15:58:58

I'm currently on maternity leave and am due back to work in Mid October.

I've been given and accepted a place at university which starts in Mid September and it's mid August right now.

When do I have to hand my notice in? I can't work out if I need to do it so I've left before I start Uni or if that doesn't matter and I can wait a month and hand it in for October.

Can someone who's had more than 5 hours broken sleep please help me?! blush

OP’s posts: |
BarbiesWorld Fri 21-Aug-20 21:20:12

Bumping for the evening crowd 😁

TopCherry Fri 21-Aug-20 21:23:34

Everyone's contract is different. Check yours. You might have to pay back some of your mat allowance if your don't go back?

SentientAndCognisant Fri 21-Aug-20 21:29:21

You’ll be required to give a minimum amount of notice ?weeks,check contract
So if for example your notice is 6 weeks you can of course give 8 week notice
If it’s 6 week notice and you give 5 week notice that’s a problem

In summary no issue with exceeding your notice period
There is a problem in not giving the minimum notice reqd

OnlyFoolsnMothers Fri 21-Aug-20 21:31:30

Yeh check your contract, my company says I have to work back for a set period otherwise I’m liable to pay some Mat pay back.

HeeeeyDuggee Fri 21-Aug-20 21:33:46

If you had an enhanced maternity package (more than SMP) you’ll prob have to work a certain notice period or have to pay it back in full. For my work it’s 1 month (in my work you can use leave to cover this period) but you’ll have to ask your HR team / check your maternity policy to be 100%
Sure this sort of stuff is usually covered there

BarbiesWorld Fri 21-Aug-20 23:04:54

Sorry, should have said, I'm getting maternity allowance so no issues with paying back etc.

I just don't want to wait until the required 4 weeks before I'm due back when that's when I'm starting uni and it could cause an issue if that makes sense?

Thanks for the replies so far though!

jadealisha Fri 21-Aug-20 23:13:18

ASAP

SkiingIsHeaven Fri 21-Aug-20 23:16:03

Tell them as soon as possible so they can find a replacement and hopefully not damage the company or let down clients.

FatBottomedGurl Fri 21-Aug-20 23:43:05

SkiingIsHeaven

Tell them as soon as possible so they can find a replacement and hopefully not damage the company or let down clients.

Whilst I totally understand the logic and moral code in this suggestion, in honesty I would leave handing in my notice until the absolute last minute. Just incase anything changes for you personally. These are very uncertain times we are living in and the last thing you need to deal with is a 2nd wave (CV19) cancelling courses or changing plans, and you're unemployed because you gave 8 weeks notice instead of 4 and they've already hired your replacement.

This is your life and you are allowed to make decisions in your own best interests, not your employers. If you died tomorrow they would be looking for your replacement by Tuesday. You don't owe them anything beyond the contractual notice period.

BarbiesWorld Sat 22-Aug-20 07:16:53

@SkiingisHeaven I completely understand your point and for any other employer I would but like @Fatbottemedgurl said, I'm a little worried about my course being pushed back and, if I'm being honest am feeling a bit petty due to only finding out about a higher position being available on indeed and not through them.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in