Talk

Advanced search

Teaching Assistant - application form - HELP!!

(10 Posts)
PandaG Wed 03-Oct-07 14:27:14

I haven't completed an application form for 8 years, and have one to do by Friday. There is just a big blank space for me to say why I could do the job, and a list of competences/personal spec I have to match up to. I was a teacher many moons ago, and have been a CM since, so am sure OI must have the relevant experience, but just don't know how to put it down. Specifically how do I answer 'understanding of relevant policies/codes of practice and awareness of relevant legislation' can't think of relevant legislation - obv I have some understanding of NC

also 'can manage the behaviour of pupils in a reasonable manner'

do I do a 'when teaching I followed the school's management behaviour policy, commuinicating concerns to the from tutor, head of department and parents as necessary...'

Have never done a formn that is just one big scary blank space!!

Thanks for reading smile

PandaG Wed 03-Oct-07 14:41:30

smile

WitnessProtectionCod Wed 03-Oct-07 14:46:38

have oyu been in?

ok make a chart of the key competences and a space on the ohter side ofr you
you mUST try and think of as much as you can

relevant codes - " afetr 4 years ass a hcold minder i haev a keen grasp of the expectaions of a ta as regards healtht ans safety, confidentiality, and foundation stage(whatever the education plan thing is called).

in my years caring for the under 5s and some school aged xhildern i haev had to manage avairety of suiiataions( then mentions say kids unhappy at school, kids too tired atht ehend of the day - maybe kdis hwose grandparents/pets have died etc) and i think i learned a lot abotu how to ensure the safety and happinsess and how to foster simotional intelligence of the kdis in my care.

Obviosuly as i worked on a self imployed bassi not within a school i haev not had to deal wiht tutors and otehr heads of dpartemtnes before but i haev liased with parents and health visitors(maybe?) and ofsted inspectors in a preofessional and repsectful manner - raising issues i was concerned about and not being afraid to ask for help

PandaG Wed 03-Oct-07 14:51:45

thanks Cod, that gives me a great start smile

I haven't been into the school no, was waiting on the result of a previous interview (didn't get it!) and this appn is due in on Friday. I am treating it as a bit of a trial run tbh, get me back in the swing as TA and other school admin jobs seem to be coming up fairly frequently.

WitnessProtectionCod Wed 03-Oct-07 14:52:18

id go and ask to ahev an inforal look aroudn afster chool on thrusday

let me knwo if you get stuck aagin

PandaG Wed 03-Oct-07 14:52:48

will definitely ask to visit the schools where the forms need to be in next Fri (thank goodness for online applications with this postal strike!)

mrsmerton Wed 03-Oct-07 14:55:39

I have to fill in a teaching assistant application for friday too, and am facing the same dilemma. I find there are certain 'buzzwords' used in education now, and the form is full of them.. Sounds like you have really good experience to be a TA, good luck (as long as its not the same job I'm going for!!) grin

PandaG Wed 03-Oct-07 14:58:18

secondary - sheffield! are some for primary for the following week which I think my recent experience may make me more suitable for!

PandaG Thu 04-Oct-07 11:02:31

well, finished my form, just going to get DH to cast an eye over it tonight before I send it tomorrow. THansk for advice Cod, I may be back next week fo rthe next application!

How are you doing with your form Mrsmerton? ok I hope smile

mrsmerton Thu 04-Oct-07 11:22:48

Thanks Panda, I handed my form in this morning. Tried to strike the right balance between educational buzzwords and 'please employ me I'm a really nice person'.

We'll see. The school used to just promote dinner ladies to be teaching assistants, but now they are doing it properly! (I knew I should have become a dinner lady when I had the chance, degree or no degree)

Good luck with yours! Let me know how you get on. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now