Talk

Advanced search

Feeling disheartened

(58 Posts)
tmh88 Fri 14-Aug-20 08:04:08

I have applied for 12 jobs in the past 2 weeks, all of which every time I apply say “over 100 applicants” “over 80 applicants” etc.

I have been turned down from them all, I’m really at a loss and I know it’s just the times we are currently in but I feel like I’m never going to get a job and I’m starting to worry, last month I applied for several cleaning jobs only one got back in touch and said I was over qualified.

At this current moment in time I will do anything. DS is in nursery one morning a week now so I can apply for jobs/go for an interview if I get one but I’m just getting so fed up with constantly being turned down from everything I apply for. Does anyone have any tips on what I can do? I have had my CV looked over by someone who does them professionally they say it’s a good CV and think it’s just the amount of option employers are getting he also said he thinks employers will be getting that many they won’t be looking through them all! Not sure if I just want to moan or if I want advice on what I can do! blush

OP’s posts: |
tmh88 Fri 14-Aug-20 08:49:01

Bump

BuddhaAtSea Fri 14-Aug-20 09:01:16

Big hug, OP. It is disheartening, but it’s not you, it’s the times we live in. Don’t, for a moment, think it’s personal.
I know the tendency is to keep this to yourself, but go out there and let anyone and everyone know you’re looking for a job. Sometimes it’s who you know, not what you know.
Keep your spirits up, something will crop up.

tmh88 Fri 14-Aug-20 09:16:07

@BuddhaAtSea Thank you, DS is at nursery Monday morning, so I might try ringing around old colleagues/friends and ask them to keep me in mind if they hear anything. Hopefully I get something soon! Think I’m going to have a break from searching every job website there is this weekend, as I’m sending myself mad and start again Monday.

CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Fri 14-Aug-20 18:05:13

Don't think it's you. A couple of years ago I tried to look for a new role in the field I'm in, which in my area and at my level for some reason had a glut of candidates and a lack of jobs at that time. I made the mistake of thinking i didn't have what it took as I got knocked back a few times, and when the market eventually did pick back up I took a job which I wish I hadn't as it wasn't stretching enough, just because I'd taken it all to heart and thought I was not worthy of the jobs I really wanted. I really regret that now as it's set my career back a fair bit.

Times have never been tougher but what can you do, just gotta keep on trying. If you can imagine an employer with 100, 200 CVs they will probably just look at half of them to begin with anyway so it's pot luck really.

Depressing, but it won't stay like this forever it really won't.

tmh88 Fri 14-Aug-20 18:44:31

@CloudsCanLookLikeSheep thank you, I have decided on today only applying for jobs that I can and want to do and if it gets to Christmas timeish I’ll start looking around for a different job as that’s when things will start getting tricky money wise!

Missc2001 Fri 14-Aug-20 18:44:47

Could you maybe apply for bank/agency jobs? Sort of as and when required but good to get you started again. Good luck x

Lookatthat Fri 14-Aug-20 19:10:48

It isn’t you at all, there are so many applicants for every role it’s so difficult. If you are applying for roles you’re over qualified for I’d definitely recommend adding a short cover note (nothing too formal) explaining why you’re applying. I just made an offer to someone who’s application caught my eye because of this - they had very clearly explained why they were applying and how they wanted to use their skills.

tmh88 Sat 15-Aug-20 08:41:44

I did think about bank work @Missc2001 but wasn’t sure what happened if I couldn’t get DS in nursery for when they needed me! But if all else fails I would go down that route! Thank you flowers @Lookatthat thank you I will write one this weekend!

glotterbug Sat 15-Aug-20 08:47:26

I'm feeling the same, over last month have applied for about 50 jobs. I have had an interview for one and now onto second interview tomorrow (fingers crossed) but not heard a jot from the other 49! Best of luck op and keep going, it's a tough job market at present and I second the pp who said about a cover note to be noticed!

FTMF30 Sat 15-Aug-20 08:50:00

Are you on LinkedIn? It's become increasingly popular and will help you to put yourself out there and see other job opportunities. You can also set up tailored job alerts.

I also find that lots of places are actually pretty crap at advertising their roles. They'll have a 'careers' or 'work with us' section on their website with their current vacancies but the roles sometimes don't seem to be advertised anywhere elseconfused. Try looking direct at websites for places you might like to work. You never know, thry might have some opportunities that will have less competition.

tmh88 Sat 15-Aug-20 09:23:21

@glotterbug I have had one phone interview so far, as soon as I said I had a 2 year old her tone definitely changed.. think she was probably worrying I’ll be off every other week with him having a cold! I will be getting a redundancy pay out in October which will see me till around Christmas/January. @FTMF30 I will make a LinkedIn account this weekend! Might sound silly but is it free? I will also check some big brand companies and see what they have on offer! Thank you flowers

glotterbug Sat 15-Aug-20 09:36:55

@tmh88 yes LinkedIn is free. I hadn't used it before but have had to get to grips with it. The post I have second interview for I actually applied for through indeed and heard nothing, so I contacted the gm through LinkedIn and said he needed to give me a chance and that lead to a phone call. Still a lot of people up for the role so I'm thinking my bravado will only see me so far. Wishing you luck op!

FTMF30 Sat 15-Aug-20 09:51:28

@glotterbug Yes, a basic account is totally free and is all you really need. Try to connect to lots of people as that will increase your visibility if you post anything and you'll be able to see more useful things too. There's also an 'open to work' badge you can put on your profile.

Fishfingersandwichplease Sat 15-Aug-20 17:36:09

Know this feeling OP, l went for so many interviews as l wanted a change in job and decided the interview l last went to would be the last time l applied - must have known cos l got it! But it is so frustrating and demoralising. Can you put on facebook you are looking for work? Seems to be how people hear about jobs these days.

Moonpixie Sun 16-Aug-20 13:00:58

Sometimes it can be just as bad getting the interviews but never getting the job.

Of course, it's great to get the interviews, I don't dispute that. But I've had four recently and it was clear that I was just there to make the numbers up.

Each time, it's come down to the generic "experience" excuse, as in, I don't have enough. Fair enough, give the more experienced candidates the position, I don't have an issue with that. But it's just like, stop shortlisting me if I'm not experienced enough!

These are all NHS jobs and I honestly think I'm only getting interviews because I'm already employed there (just one paltry 4hr shift) and I get my application in really quickly.

tmh88 Sun 16-Aug-20 21:27:31

Ok I know I said I weren’t going to look this weekend but I’ve applied for 4 jobs! 3 I wasn’t overly bothered about but there is 1 I would be absolutely perfect for it’s exactly what I was doing before so I really hope I get it! I added a cover letter @Lookatthat hope everything went well with your interview @glotterbug flowers

tmh88 Sun 16-Aug-20 21:28:50

@Moonpixie yes I hate the “they had more experience line” angry hope we all get something eventually! I’ll keep posting on here how I get on over the next couple of weeks!

Lookatthat Sun 16-Aug-20 21:29:49

Good luck @tmh88! Let us know how it goes.

glotterbug Mon 17-Aug-20 08:30:15

Good luck @tmh88 . My interview seemed to go really well it's just a case of waiting now. They did impress on me that they had a lot of applicants so guess just gotta see what else the other applicants bring to the interview. Will keep you updated

Moonpixie Tue 18-Aug-20 17:15:00

@tmh88 Yes, good luck. Just had another rejection. That's been four within a month and five in total this year.

tmh88 Tue 18-Aug-20 20:34:37

@glotterbug everything crossed you get it! @Moonpixie sorry to hear that, it really is disheartening! I phoned around yesterday asking for people to keep an eye out for me.. so hoping I get something soon!

tmh88 Tue 18-Aug-20 20:35:28

I’ve never been to the job centre, does anyone know if they give you an advantage when looking for work?

tmh88 Wed 19-Aug-20 21:25:23

I have some good news! I had a phone call today from someone I know who might have a job for me they’ve given my number over and I should be getting a call some point this week! I’m literally glued to my phone with it on the loudest setting now 🤞🏻

glotterbug Wed 19-Aug-20 21:50:50

That's great news! Got everything crossed for you

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in