Talk

Advanced search

Starting new job tomorrow after a terrible week

(8 Posts)
sunshinexdreams Sun 19-Jul-20 19:17:54

Hi everyone.

I’m due to start a new job tomorrow in a completely new sector to what I’ve worked in previously. I haven’t actually worked in a few years due to going back to uni (well full time at least!)

On top of the usual pre-new-job nerves I’ve just had a pretty awful week (we had to have our family pet put to sleep and I broke up with my partner). Along with this, the entire interview process etc.. was done online due to covid so I’ve actually never been to the place I’m working (other than to do a test drive location wise) to get a feel of what it’s going to be like. I’m an anxious and rather emotional person to start with and I just really want this new job to go well!

Any tips to combat new job nerves or how to create good impression after a pretty tough week?

Thank you! smile

OP’s posts: |
Yorkiee Sun 19-Jul-20 21:21:11

@sunshinexdreams wishing you all the best! Think positive and hopefully it will all turn out well.

RhapsodyandAshe Sun 19-Jul-20 21:27:43

I have used Proponol in situations along those lines, but there is no way I can see for you to get them by tomorrow.
I'd probably try and get to the loo a lot where I could take deep breaths and just refocus. Not a great look on your first day but they could maybe take it for anxiety seeing?
Anyway good luck and I hope it goes well.

Flackattack Sun 19-Jul-20 22:02:09

Good luck! You’ll be great - they recruited you because they want you!
I’m Finally going back tomorrow after maternity leave - redundancy and coronavirus! Can’t deny the fear but it will be fine!!!

user14234675325678 Sun 19-Jul-20 22:13:15

Remember they'll expect you to be nervous and possibly overwhelmed at all the new people and places and processes. It's ok!

And lots of them may be thinking, "oh thank goodness it's not my first day again" so they're likely to want to help you feel at ease and get to know you in the weeks to come as you settle.

That's my mindset on meeting new starters anyway. I try not to form judgements on people, least of all based on a ten second intro. I usually feel excited to welcome someone new.

They want you to work there, they want you to succeed, they want you to feel welcome. They might be nervous about their first impressions too.

Keep reminding yourself of those things and keep breathing slowly and deeply.

(Also, I feel like we are kindred spirits here because I do the test drive thing but have hardly ever come across other people who do!)

sunshinexdreams Mon 20-Jul-20 07:24:47

Thank you everyone! Just got to take a few deep breaths and compose myself

Good Luck for your first day @Flackattack grin

Oh I test drive EVERYWHERE @user14234675325678 - glad to hear someone else does it too because it drives everyone here crazy when I insist on doing it haha grin

OP’s posts: |
Ohdeariedear Mon 20-Jul-20 07:30:55

I did a whole drive/train/walk ‘test drive’ last time I started a new job - surely it’s just sensible?!

Anyway, my advice OP would be fake it til you make it. They won’t know how anxious you are so don’t tell them. Big smile, take lots of notes and just take it one day at a time. You’ll be great! Best of luck.

Dyrne Mon 20-Jul-20 07:36:09

Good luck OP!

And from the other side, just to say that I‘VE got a new starter today and I’m SO EXCITED to have them start as we’ve been under resourced for so long. I have to keep reminding myself to dial it back a bit so I don’t overwhelm them grin

As others have said - they will know you’ll be nervous so cut you a lot of slack at first. The first day is usually paperwork and wrestling with IT anyway grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in