Talk

Advanced search

Working from home with baby.

(9 Posts)
loveandlaundry Wed 01-Jul-20 00:12:39

Was called to go back to work early as someone has left and if I don't I'm at risk of loosing my job -- my baby is 4 months and I will be working from home and I am feeling nervous as I was not ready or thinking of going before baby is 8 months. Any advice

OP’s posts: |
roxfox Wed 01-Jul-20 00:56:41

Gosh I didn't know they could do that. Sorry op, I can't help. I also have a four month old so can imagine how you're feeling. Sending this in solidarity and hope some one will be along soon with good advice. thanks

RememberTheSunnierDays Wed 01-Jul-20 01:10:21

Hi OP, I’m not sure they can cancel your maternity leave. You’re entitled to 12 months off with your baby. If they’re saying you’ll be at risk of loosing your job if you don’t, I’d seriously consider the legal situation. I’ve never come across this before and work in HR. If this was raised at my place I would caution this approach, your time is protected and unnecessary stress like you’re suggesting is likely to give rise to a claim - I’m assuming the leave was your mat cover? They should recruit to manage this.

maternityaction.org.uk/covidmaternityfaqs/maternity-leave-and-return-to-work/ Is a good source of info, there are other sites too such as ACAS and CAB who can give additional free advice if you contact them.

Hedgehog26 Wed 01-Jul-20 01:13:49

I would absolutely challenge this, not only because you’ll miss out on time with your baby. But wfh with a baby is a nightmare and impossible to get a full days work done

RememberTheSunnierDays Wed 01-Jul-20 01:13:54

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/rights-at-work/parental-rights/maternity-leave-your-options-when-it-ends/

Just more info. I’d definitely feel you’d have a strong claim to sue them. I’d get everything in writing just so you’re clear what their request is (and also evidence should you need it).

cabbageking Wed 01-Jul-20 01:24:02

If you are on maternity leave they can not ask you to return.
You can take the full year off and there is nothing they can do about it.
Whether it is paid or not you are entitled to the full year off.

If you have already come off maternity leave then it is a different story

loveandlaundry Wed 01-Jul-20 09:34:08

cabbageking

If you are on maternity leave they can not ask you to return.
You can take the full year off and there is nothing they can do about it.
Whether it is paid or not you are entitled to the full year off.

If you have already come off maternity leave then it is a different story

I have not come off it yet as I have not received any information from HR. they asked me about three weeks ago and I only had about two days to decide.

loveandlaundry Wed 01-Jul-20 09:48:57

RememberTheSunnierDays

Hi OP, I’m not sure they can cancel your maternity leave. You’re entitled to 12 months off with your baby. If they’re saying you’ll be at risk of loosing your job if you don’t, I’d seriously consider the legal situation. I’ve never come across this before and work in HR. If this was raised at my place I would caution this approach, your time is protected and unnecessary stress like you’re suggesting is likely to give rise to a claim - I’m assuming the leave was your mat cover? They should recruit to manage this.

https://maternityaction.org.uk/covidmaternityfaqs/maternity-leave-and-return-to-work/ Is a good source of info, there are other sites too such as ACAS and CAB who can give additional free advice if you contact them.

I really am not happy to go back to work this soon and working from home is not easy. I felt rushed to agree with what they were asking and felt like it was a threat telling me I Would loose my job if I don't go back. I am so confused and I am contractor but I have read it doesn't really matter if you are a contractor as maternity policies apply the same way as the permanent staff.

GetUpAgain Wed 01-Jul-20 09:51:47

If it comes to it, you will cope somehow. I worked full time with a 4 month old, not from home, it was very very demanding but 15 years on I am still standing. Hope you don't have to though.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in