Talk

Advanced search

Business Idea. What do you think?

(9 Posts)
Enthusia Wed 26-Sep-07 11:07:24

Hi

I am looking at starting a small business painting and selling original artwork on canvas that incorporate information such as names, dates or messages.

So for instance at the moment i am concentrating on small canvases, 20cm square, with paintings of rockets, flowers etc and incorporating baby names and birth details on them for birth presents.

I can paint most things if I have a picture, mainly cartoon and illustrated styles, but I can do some lifelike work, so people could choose the theme themselves. I could also paint them for any occasion and incorporate most information.

What I need to know is if you would be interested in something like this and how much you would pay so I can see if this is a realistic idea.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

RubySlippers Wed 26-Sep-07 11:10:57

a local shop sells these and TBH lots of places seem to
They vary price wise but i have seen them at £100 + for the larger canvasses

Enthusia Wed 26-Sep-07 11:14:31

Thanx RubySlippers. I haven't seen anything like it around my area. I was thinking about £25 to £30 for the 20cm square ones.

RubySlippers Wed 26-Sep-07 11:21:50

they sound reasonably priced
if you don't have competition locally then maybe give it a try

Acinonyx Wed 26-Sep-07 12:08:11

I knew someone in the US who does something a bit like this and she has had some success by having the business on a website so people can commission pieces online after viewing examples. Portraits of peoples' pets are popular too. Jill

hanaflower Wed 26-Sep-07 12:17:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wannaBe Wed 26-Sep-07 12:20:31

it might be worth doing a bit of market research to see if people would buy them.

Art is a very personal thing, and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

JossStick Thu 27-Sep-07 16:10:16

Hi Enthusia,

The costing sounds fair - depending on how quickly you can work of course. You wouldn't want to price yourself out of the market.

I have seen some stuff like this around but maybe it's a case of putting a bit of yourself and your style into it and making it a bit different.

How about collage too - say adding a birth stone or personal artifact into / onto the canvas.

Also - how about small trinket boxes etc. rather than canvas.

Think what you would like and try to find an outlet too if possible.

A website might be a very good idea - if you're not very technical about these things an Ebay shop is quite cheap and would get you known to lots of people.

Good Luck! grin

HTH

Enthusia Sun 30-Sep-07 19:34:40

Thanx for your messages. I have just got two canvases into a local upmarket design centre, they are going to trial them for two weeks but seem impressed. I will try and get some pics up to see what you and other think of them.

Josstick, painting other items is also a good idea, as is adding artefacts. Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now