Talk

Advanced search

what's the nicest/most professional way to tell work I'm not going back?

(16 Posts)
Ilovebuttons Wed 26-Sep-07 11:04:57

Hi, I'd really appreciate some advice - I'm not very good at this kind of thing!
Do I tell my line manager or the HR lady who has written to my asking about my return to work date? Is it better to phone, arrange a meeting, write a letter?

I am good friends with my colleagues which makes formal things like this seem unnatural, but the HR department are known for being quite ruthless and I don't want to annoy anyone, especially because I want to keep the door open for freelance work.

(by the way I'm due back dec4th after a year off but I want to let them know asap so they're not left in the lurch)

thanks for reading this!

RubySlippers Wed 26-Sep-07 11:07:10

you need to check your contract for your T & Cs with regard to this
if you have had a year off, i don't know if your notice terms apply i.e. if you have to give a months notice etc
TBH i always favour a professional approach (a letter) stating what you will be doing and then suggesting a follow up meeting

mishymoo Wed 26-Sep-07 11:10:06

I handed my notice in 1 month before the end of my maternity leave (as this was required in my contract). I tried to ring my line manager but couldn't get hold of her so spoke to HR and notified them about my intentions. I then wrote a letter to my boss confirming it all.

butterflymum Wed 26-Sep-07 11:12:12

Check too that you don't have to work for a short period to avoid having to pay back some of your Maternity benefits.

WotsZePoint Wed 26-Sep-07 11:12:18

Don't delay your communication either, it is only considerate to take into account that your employer may have to recruit and may take time. Its just over 9 weeks away.

mishymoo Wed 26-Sep-07 11:15:32

Good point about paying back maternity pay.. I ended up having to pay the whole lot back! I was on 90% salary paid maternity leave for 6 months. My own fault really, I should have opted out of it when I went on mat leave!

Ilovebuttons Wed 26-Sep-07 11:17:27

yep I have to give a months notice.
I don't have to pay anything back.
I know what you mean WZP. I feel bad for leaving it this late, I've been changing my mind every 2 mins - only just managed to sort it out in my head.
I might take the same route as mishymoo (can't get through to my boss either at the mo)
thanks for all your wise words

chopchopbusybusy Wed 26-Sep-07 11:23:20

I'd call the line manager and tell him/her you're not returning to work. Say that you know HR will want this in writing and you are sending them a letter today, but that wanted to give him/her the courtesy of a personal phone call. IME HR can be very slow to pass on information! And I wouldn't feel guilty at all. If you only need to give one months notice and you are giving almost two then I think you are being more than fair.

WotsZePoint Wed 26-Sep-07 12:14:52

Ilovebuttons - I don't mean anything. Certainly not wanting to make you feel bad about it anyway if it came over that way.
Just looking at the other side of things (I do that sometimes) that's all.
Ilovebuttons hope you make the right choice, whatever that is.

Ilovebuttons Wed 26-Sep-07 13:15:26

WZP - oh god don't apologise I didn't think you were trying to make me feel bad at all! totally agreed with what you said

I just managed to get through to my boss ad told her - I was shaking!

It was all fine though and she was lovely about it: 'I'm sad for me but pleased for you'

thanks for the support

WotsZePoint Wed 26-Sep-07 13:39:32

smile

lemonaid Wed 26-Sep-07 13:41:21

Read the thread title and so wanted to say "singing telegram". But I see you've already talked to your boss and missed that opportunity... [sigh]

fairyjay Wed 26-Sep-07 13:44:54

I think a phone call is the nicest way, followed by a letter.

I am always surprised to just receive a letter, when I've worked with someone for a while.

Ilovebuttons Wed 26-Sep-07 13:58:38

lemonaid, if you could hear me sing you'd know that's actually a really mean way to tell them

lemonaid Wed 26-Sep-07 14:07:23

Oh, I was thinking of a professional singing telegram, obviously. Possibly one dressed as a policeman or circus strongman... grin

Ilovebuttons Thu 27-Sep-07 09:29:08

ha ha!
in that case you're right, that would have been MUCH better

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now