Talk

Advanced search

Help me!! Could I ask for advice/success stories

(2 Posts)
Mulhollandmagoo Thu 18-Jun-20 13:48:16

I was due back to work after maternity leave in April, however with the current pandemic I was furloughed immediately and have yet to return to work. I've been given a return date of 29th June, so all the wheels are in motion now, and to be honest I'm looking forward to it, I've been at home now for a year and desperate for some normality

My problem however, is that my job doesn't satisfy me at all, and I'm desperately looking for a career change, but I don't know where the hell to start. I started a job in the logistics sector straight out of uni, it wasn't particularly what I wanted to do, but I'd worked with the company as a summer temp during my time at uni and the pay was good so I took it, worked there for a few years until I got a job in an accounts department for a large well known firm, my degree was in law and accountancy so I was on the right track, it was entry level with the promise of progression, which I have progressed up a couple of steps, and the person in a higher role than me left, but I was pregnant so someone was brought in from outside to fill the role (completely understandable, I was a couple of months away from taking a year off) the job itself is ok, I love the company, I love the team I work with, but the workload can be minimal at times which drives me spare, it's quite monotonous and not particularly difficult and I'm getting a little bored and fed up.

I would love to do something like counseling/community support to women post natally, I was diagnosed with post natal anxiety and OCD so it's something I feel very strongly about but it's a huge career jump with next to no transferrable skills, alternatively I would like to do something community based, such as probation officer (or similar) or something pastoral based in a school, but again very different to what I do currently with little no transferrable skills, so I don't know where to go from here.

I've laid awake so many nights trying to figure this out, so was hoping there were some success stories on here or people who could give me some advice on where to start

OP’s posts: |
JustHavinABreak Thu 18-Jun-20 13:52:36

Would you be in a position financially to retrain? Perhaps by going part time and doing a degree in social care? Or even with the OU if you can't go part time. Or perhaps look at becoming a doula.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in