Talk

Advanced search

what do yu think to this?

(8 Posts)
dissle Sun 23-Sep-07 18:21:33

I hve a very responsible job.
I have allot of responsibility and am quite senior, very qualified and classed as "professional".
However i am part time.
my child is now in full time education and so i have spare days.
i saw an advert in the local shop window advertising for a cleaner in a local family house. The pay isnt up to much but i am strangely attracted to it.
it must only be a few hours a week, which would pay about £25 a week, i really like the thought of having an income that i can put straight ino the bank and not touch for our holidays.
i really like the sound of it.
im a bit embarrassed about my main job and wouldnt want to tell them about it, i would just say that my kid is in full time school and i want a little job.
what if they ask me about past experience...i used to work as a chamber maid in a hotel when i left school.
dont want to tell any one about this job, dh would not like it very much.
I like the idea of just doing some thing i dont have to think about much.

what do you think??

PandaG Sun 23-Sep-07 18:26:10

Not exactly the same, but I have been a SAHM and childminder for the last 7 years, but prior to that I was a teacher, and a manager within the civil service. I am going fo ran interview tomorrow for a kitchen assistant job at a local independent school, 4 hours a day, 2 days a week term time only. I just want to get back into the job market, and get some structure to my week now that bith my children are at school.

I think, if you would enjoy the job, then why not? Could you provide references of character cfrom friends, and not mention your current job at all?

PandaG Sun 23-Sep-07 18:26:51

Personally would tell DH though, wouldn't want ot keep stuff from him.

dissle Sun 23-Sep-07 18:29:50

hmm, im going to ring up about it tomorrow to see what the required hours are etc.
do you think that i sound strange or odd?

Littlefish Sun 23-Sep-07 18:54:10

Hi dissle

My cleaner is an incredibly well educated woman who started cleaning for other people as a way to afford her children's riding lessons.

I used to give singing lessons, and loved being paid for a job that was separate to my main job. I did exactly what you are proposing - put it in account just to save up for holidays and treats.

I think it sounds like an excellent idea. If you're worried about how it will sound to other people, you could always say you are a freelance housekeeper. smile

WideWebWitch Sun 23-Sep-07 18:55:20

I think you're mad and should get more hours being properly paid in your 'real' job.

WhyEVER would you want to clean if you didn't have to?

MitfordSisters Sun 23-Sep-07 20:27:17

I work for a council in the week but on saturdays work in a food market. it's fun and more stimulating to do two jobs that are different. Have a portfolio career - very noughties!

dissle Sun 23-Sep-07 20:33:30

i knew some one would say that www.
it crossed my mind too but in my main job, i cant be that flexible, i have to work whole chunks of time..8-14 hours, i cant just do a few hours when i can.
i like the idea of having no responsibility and just doing a couple of hours to fit into my time.
im talking myself into this more and more!
thanks every one for your advice and experiences.
it really helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now