Talk

Advanced search

WWYD

(2 Posts)
kittlesticks Sun 07-Jun-20 09:13:06

Looking for some collective wisdom from Mums who have been working in this crisis or will soon be back. I have (luckily) been on mat leave with DD who is my second child. Due to return to work full time in a month.
Previously we had DS at the local nursery 3 days a week and grandparents were kind enough to help us for 2 days (GPs taking 1 day a week each). This arrangement was working well. We can just about afford to send both DCs to the nursery for 3 days a week, leaving me about £400 of my salary left - but figured it's worth it to get back to work and contribute to a pension etc etc.
But obviously now times are different and it's looking like GPs won't be able to have the DC because we aren't allowed to mix households and have to socially distance.
Obviously we know that parents have been working from home without childcare all this time but my work have sent an email round saying they now expect people to start coming into work.
So what is everyone else doing to make this work? My DCs won't fit in my laptop bag... confused

OP’s posts: |
Isleepinahedgefund Tue 09-Jun-20 08:29:29

Have you spoken to them? You won’t be the only person in this position.

Childcare is a joint responsibility so your husband also needs to speak to his work to see what can be accommodated. You have a day each to cover.

As your children are so young the idea of working at home and looking after them isn’t realistic. So you’d be looking at part time, unpaid leave, special paid leave if your employer does it.

Or you send the kids to nursery more days and suck up the cost temporarily.

Have you checked if your nursery will even take both the kids when you’re due back? Most have very restricted numbers at the moment.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in