Talk

Advanced search

Nurse training at 47 - too old?

(9 Posts)
hopeidontforgetthisusername Sun 07-Jun-20 08:32:18

I am 47 years old and in a very well paid job that has left me unfulfilled for years and won’t change.

15 years ago I lost my eldest son after a battle with cancer and would have liked to retrain in a more rewarding career but family demands have made that impossible.

I am now at a stage where I could make it happen and if I don’t I fear for my mental well-being.

But I wonder how realistic this really is? Would a university take me on? Would an employer want an older newly trained person? And would someone if that age cope with shift work even if for only a few years?

OP’s posts: |
OnlyJudyCanJudgeMe Sun 07-Jun-20 08:35:58

My big sister qualified at 50 and now works as a community nurse...so no, go for it!

boredboredboredboredbored Sun 07-Jun-20 08:39:48

You aren't too old at all! I'm 43 and have been a nurse since I was 21. We welcome nurses with life experience it's something you can't teach. Shifts can be tough but I'm community based so do office hours. Go for it 👍🏻

ShirleyB25 Sun 07-Jun-20 08:46:24

I met a trainee nurse who was 52 and was going to do her midwifery training after! She was very dynamic and hands on with obviously a lot of life experience.

She achieved her dreams, as I heard around 3 years later. I met her in her second year of nursing degree.

I'm 56 and still working as a nurse on dialysis unit. No night shifts, and don't work Sundays. Still enjoy the variety and much prefer it to working in an office-based job.

Go for it is what I say as well.

Restlessinthenorth Sun 07-Jun-20 08:46:48

Nurse-lecturer here....It's definitely not too late and you won't be the only one in your group around that age, I'm fairly certain. Without knowing your individual circumstances, you still have potentially 15 years or so of a career ahead of you! That's a long time! Go for it

hopeidontforgetthisusername Sun 07-Jun-20 08:58:03

Ah thank you all so much for your responses and encouragement you have made my day and I am definitely going to be applying.

OP’s posts: |
LondonTowers Mon 08-Jun-20 23:21:54

I retrained as a nurse a couple years ago and a friend on the course was 54ish I think. She now works in theatres and out of all of us who trained together I'd say she is the happiest in her job and with her career choice...go for it and good luck xxx

QueenOfWinterfell Sat 04-Jul-20 15:41:35

You can get student loans for degrees up to the age of 55 so you’re not too old.

FingersXssd83 Sat 04-Jul-20 15:43:48

No way! Go for it 💪🏻🏥

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in