Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Shift work and child care???!!!

(9 Posts)
JammyK Thu 20-Sep-07 09:50:44

I've been a SAHM for the last 2.5years and it's been enjoyable but I am ready to go back to work now. I have seen a few Care Assistant jobs on a maternity ward advertised in my area. This would be great for me as I am hoping to start midwifery training once ds1 + 2 are both at school. Just need some advice on how to go about finding a nursery placement for my children when I'll be working different shifts every week!

eleanorsmum Thu 20-Sep-07 09:56:28

maybe try a childminder? they (we!) tend to be more flexible!

JammyK Thu 20-Sep-07 10:01:19

That's a good idea, I hadn't really thought about that!

It is really difficult for me as dh is in the RAF and goes away a lot and I don't have any family around to help, so what if I have to work a night shift? Do childminders work nights??

I know I probably sound really silly but I've never had to consider these things before!

canmummy Thu 20-Sep-07 10:02:36

I find shift work and childcare an impossible mix - especially as dh does shifts as well! One suggestion is speak to the ward informally and see if there's any chance of gettng the same shifts each week so you can plan around it.

Also, can you leave it to your dp/dh to do the drop/offs and pick/ups? You'll need this anyway I would have thought as early shifts can start as early as 7am and late shifts finish around 9pm. Therefore arrange childcare around his job rather than yours?

Good luck!

canmummy Thu 20-Sep-07 10:04:23

Cross-posted Jammy - see 2nd option would be impossible!

I have come across 1 childminder that would cover these hours but realistically your kids wouldn't be picked up from their house till late and might need to be back there early as well. I don't know how many kids would cope with that

eleanorsmum Thu 20-Sep-07 10:04:39

yes some do! work nights that is. you may find one that is able to take you on, you'll have to do some research. call you local childrens information centre who will give you a list of local ones who do nights. ps where are you!

JammyK Thu 20-Sep-07 10:10:10

I'm in Oxofrdshire.

I think that's a good idea to speak to the ward informally about my situation and ask if I can do the same shifts each week. Just worried that they'll think I'm too much hassle and they'll hire someone else instead.

JammyK Thu 20-Sep-07 10:10:30

That was meant to be Oxfordshire!

canmummy Thu 20-Sep-07 10:14:30

Jammy - I wouldn't worry about seeming too inflexible a lot of nurses have this problem as well don't forget!

(Ps I used to interview for hca's in your neck of the woods and it certainly didn't put me off if somebody requested child-friendly hours)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now