Talk

Advanced search

Volunteering ideas for midwifery

(5 Posts)
Yesnomaybeee Wed 13-May-20 12:59:37

I am hoping to retrain in the next few years and have been looking at midwifery. I would need to do an access course but before that I would like to do some volunteering that could strengthen a midwifery application. I’m not really sure where to start though- was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for volunteering? Thank you

OP’s posts: |
mrbob Wed 13-May-20 13:02:21

NCT?

HonestOpinion10 Wed 13-May-20 15:03:55

Yy Nct had breaatfeeding helpers/helpline and groups. Maternity action might take volunteers.
Working as a carer?
Nutrition course for pregnant women, maybe online?
Natural alternative medicine and pregnancy?

Eebyjeebies Wed 13-May-20 23:10:04

Get a job as an HCA or Maternity Assistant before you spend lots of time and money retraining.

You really won't know what it's like until you do a job working alongside midwives. The NHS is a strange beast. It will make you or break you.

I thought I wanted to become an AHP. I don't now. In fact, I'm not even sure I want to work for the NHS.

jadealisha Mon 29-Jun-20 02:13:09

Hi,

I agree with previous responder. I'm on maternity leave atm but due to return to the NHS in October. My new post will be as a maternity support worker. I know many MSW's who have been funded by my Trust to train to become band 5 Midwives or even band 4 maternity support workers or assistant theatre practitioners for those who did not want the responsible of being a registered Midwife x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in