Talk

Advanced search

Due Back End of Week

(13 Posts)
LittleTwiglet Mon 23-Mar-20 10:24:40

Hi all, my first post here. My maternity leave finishes at the end of this week, however with the coronavirus issues going on I have no one able to look after my daughter and so will be unable to go back, my question is, what should I do? I have also had to back to work meeting yet to arrange new hours etc as I wouldn't be doing full time anymore, and want to leave after the 'payback' period finishes.

Can anybody advise on what I should do with not being able to go in currently as I have no one to look after her.

OP’s posts: |
Mummyzzz044 Tue 24-Mar-20 16:49:54

I'm in the same boat so following but I have 6 weeks and I'm due back. I've asked to reduce my hours and they havent got back in touch, every time I ring they arent available or through message the boss is saying that he forget, then they havent discussed it yet. Surely they need to let me know if it's a yes or no? I feel I'm chasing them to know. Do I have rights? About knowing or going part time

user1487194234 Tue 24-Mar-20 18:45:50

Did you both submit a formal application to vary your hours

LittleTwiglet Wed 25-Mar-20 08:13:43

No, I've had no type of meeting to arrange coming back/hours at all.

popcorndiva Wed 25-Mar-20 08:17:47

Suppose it depends whether your job would come under essential currently. Are the businesses still open?

concernedforthefuture Wed 25-Mar-20 08:18:36

What's your job? Is work even open? Could you extend your maternity leave if you haven't taken the full time? Or you can take unpaid parental leave if there is no other option (I.e your employer is not allowing time off for covid-19 purposes). Your best bet would be to speak to your employer really.

Mummyzzz044 Wed 25-Mar-20 09:15:43

I havent formally written it down, I had a meeting and asked. They said they would be in touch and seemed really nice and positive about it. Now it's gone cold.

I've already give a date to go back so if I'm still waiting on an answer I can't ask to take longer can I?. I've had 9 months.

The place I work is a non essential factory. They should not even be open as its impossible for people to keep 2 meters apart, everyone is working on top of each other.

@LittleTwiglet I'm not sure considering your back end of the week I would have thought one of you would have been in touch with each other, but the fact you haven't give them a date of return like me could work in your favour I think. That you could now take the full 12 month.

Mummyzzz044 Wed 25-Mar-20 09:19:13

Say they agree to let me go back flexible hours, do I happily accept and then wait the 6 weeks or so and assess the situation then and ask for parental leave?.

The persons that were going to look after little one are high risk so wouldn't be able to care for her anyway. I could probably get my sister to help out but we will see.

Also people keep telling me companies cant refuse you going back reduced hours? Is this true?

LittleTwiglet Wed 25-Mar-20 09:23:01

I learnt from the company website that they have now shut temporarily, my manager hasn't contacted me regarding this and no one at the head office is answering the phones.

I've taken the full 52 week maternity as I ended up taking my maternity leave early due to stress and bullying at work.

I'm trade counter/admin for a kitchen company - so in my eyes not essential at all right now.

I have tried to arrange twice to go in and speak with my manager within the last 2 months but both times he has said that he might not have time as other staff members are off, I dont think this is my problem really as it should be them contacting me more so.

LittleTwiglet Wed 25-Mar-20 09:23:52

That's also my issue,I have no one available for childcare now as I dont have anyone who isn't high risk.

Mummyzzz044 Wed 25-Mar-20 09:33:06

@littletwiglet.

That's awful sounds like they haven't been treating you very well, no one should be bullied out of work early, your hormones are everywhere as it is.

We both have rights, I dont know what they are lol. But we do end refusing to meet with you is unfair.

Will they automatically pay you 80% of wage because they've shut or does that just mean you're all unemployed?.

This sounds really stressful for you, you need to know where you stand, all I can say is put everything in email to them. The fact you have tried to contact your manager and now that they have closed and you had no idea.

Is there any employees you can contact to find out what's happened?

user1487194234 Wed 25-Mar-20 22:16:37

In normal circumstances if you haven't submitted a flexible working application and had it accepted you have to return on the same hours you were on
Obviously in the current circumstances you might be WFH
You should contact your employer to discuss

Mummyzzz044 Thu 26-Mar-20 08:43:20

Application? I didn't know this existed. Although a number of girls have gone part time for our company after maternity leave and none of them have put it in writing so I'm hoping I'm lucky.

They've sent all office staff home in our place and left all the shop floor production to risk getting the virus. Working on top of each other. Horrendous

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in