Talk

Advanced search

Come off maternity early to take a temp job?

(59 Posts)
Spongeb0b Thu 13-Feb-20 09:26:16

Will try to be brief so not too outing. Basically am on mat leave, wasn't planning on going back for a few months yet. Have been offered a maternity cover (1 year ) which will mean a start date soon. It's in a very specialist role and they don't come up often. Good holidays, salary. Working pattern same as what I already do. Manager said very likely to be permanent opportunities but cant 100% guarantee. Current job permanent but money pretty poor & it's not really what I want long term but obviously it's secure employment. Wwyd? Don't have long to decide!

OP’s posts: |
Spongeb0b Thu 13-Feb-20 09:39:04

Bump

OP’s posts: |
Spongeb0b Thu 13-Feb-20 12:58:29

Anyone? sad

OP’s posts: |
strawberrylaces88 Fri 14-Feb-20 21:54:26

How long til you were due to go back? I would say go for it! I think I would regret not taking it more. Yes your current job is in theory secure but you don't know how things could change there in the next year.

ChicCroissant Fri 14-Feb-20 21:58:49

Is this in the same company, or will you need to repay any enhanced maternity leave pay?

ElloBrian Fri 14-Feb-20 22:02:05

It’s not clear whether this is a new role with your existing employer and therefore you will have continuity of employment, or whether it is a job with a new employer which would involve resigning from your existing employer and going to work elsewhere.
Can you be clearer please?

moonlight1705 Fri 14-Feb-20 22:05:50

I took a new job when DD was 4 months old, it did help that we had already arranged shared parental leave for my DH so had the support in place.

How old is your DC? I would personally go for it.

Spongeb0b Fri 14-Feb-20 22:39:55

Was due to go back in may/june @strawberrylaces88

OP’s posts: |
Spongeb0b Fri 14-Feb-20 22:41:02

It's the latter @ElloBrian

OP’s posts: |
Spongeb0b Fri 14-Feb-20 22:42:02

No enhanced pay to pay back

OP’s posts: |
ElloBrian Fri 14-Feb-20 22:44:42

Hmm. Ok. In that case I would need to feel as though this is a really rare and important opportunity AND that now was the right moment for me to go for it. If both of those apply then maybe - if family finances and other issues (partner’s work, commitments etc) were also favourable. If not all of that is the case I would be very likely to avoid I’m afraid. Big risk to take.

blueshoes Fri 14-Feb-20 22:46:13

Some companies have a prohibition against moonlighting if you are in a ft position, unless it has been approved. It is to avoid conflict of interests and prevent you being distracted from your ft role.

Of course you are on maternity but if it is in your contract, you might technically be in breach of it.

I personally think it is worth the risk but keep the second job under wraps until you are due to go back to your current job whereupon you will then hopefully impressed the second job company so much they make you a permanent offer.

Spongeb0b Fri 14-Feb-20 22:47:26

DC will be 6 months when I go back @moonlight1705 - will need to go in to nursery - this was planned but not yet. I'm just so worried that the contract won't be extended beyond a year and there will be no job for me. Also worried that it's not the right time to try and impress a new employer. I'm still breastfeeding & DC is up several times a night x

OP’s posts: |
Spongeb0b Fri 14-Feb-20 22:50:40

Both positions part time @blueshoes I would resign from one before taking the other x

OP’s posts: |
Spongeb0b Fri 14-Feb-20 22:53:57

Thanks @ElloBrian it's a rare opportunity and if I'm kept on its the kind of role I would never leave. But whether it's the right time - that's my big dilemma. I don't feel ready to leave DC yet. But part of me wonders if I ever will 😂

OP’s posts: |
blueshoes Fri 14-Feb-20 22:59:05

OP, go for it

Chage Fri 14-Feb-20 23:00:03

I’d definitely go for it! It could open so many doors in the future.

Spongeb0b Fri 14-Feb-20 23:04:53

Thanks @Chage and @blueshoes what about the fact that it's not permanent (at the moment) do you think it's still worth the gamble? DH fully on board and thinks it's a foot in the door and if not there's plenty time to find something else. Both jobs have a good flexible working pattern though and I'm not convinced he realises how hard they are to come by!

OP’s posts: |
blueshoes Sat 15-Feb-20 00:29:25

Yes definitely. You do the Job2 until you have to go back to Job1. If Job2 does not materialise into a permanent one yet, go back to Job1. Hopefully, if and when Job2 becomes permanent, they will think of you and offer it to you whereupon you quit Job1.

Or you may like Job2 so much you will take the risk of it not yet being permanent and quite Job1. I agree with your dh, just put your foot through the door. Once you are in, you will have a better sense to gauge the risk of Job2. You might hate it in which case it is still good because you won't be plagued with 'what ifs'.

Spongeb0b Sat 15-Feb-20 07:05:43

I couldn't do that @blueshoes as my maternity leave for job 1 runs out fully in a few months whereas this contract for job 2 is a year - so job 1 would have expected me back long before job 2 runs out? Job 2 is also a maternity cover so I can't see her saying whether she is coming back right up until she has to nor them making me permanent for another reason until - well I don't know when - but chances of it being in a few months possibly not high. Also surely you aren't allowed to be on maternity leave from one job but working in another or have I got that totally wrong? Appreciate your input x

OP’s posts: |
Spongeb0b Sat 15-Feb-20 07:09:12

Had night from hell with baby, he's been up all night wanting boob. Starting to think more and more I need to just take my own mat leave & not worry about covering someone else's confused

OP’s posts: |
Strongmummy Sat 15-Feb-20 07:09:16

You will need to resign from your job and you won’t be able to start the new one until your notice is up. I’d say go for it.

Spongeb0b Sat 15-Feb-20 07:15:55

Yes that's what I would be doing if I took it @strongmummy thanks for your view. Im reconsidering now after a hellish night with the baby! If I didn't have a job already I would take it no question, needs must. But I'm wondering whether I need a bit more time on my own maternity leave before I start looking for other opportunities as I just don't know if me & DC are ready for me to go back. If only this role had came up in a few months time or if it was permanent there would be very little dilemma

OP’s posts: |
DroppedBoxxedRuth Sat 15-Feb-20 07:17:38

Well I'm going to go against the grain here and say I wouldn't do it.

It's highly like the current incumbent will want this PT niche role back when their mat leave finishes and unless you're ok to not work, it will be a stress over you for the next year.

And before anyone says it, I'm currently contracting myself and enjoying the 'freedom' but my DC are 4 and 9 and I'm more than happy to have down time between contracts.

When you have young DC and working my philosophy (and experience!) is just get through each day, don't give too much mental and physical energy away because you need it at home.

EarringsandLipstick Sat 15-Feb-20 07:20:14

OP I'm going to disagree with all PPs!

I wouldn't take this job now. You've answered your own question in your last post - you're shattered, and 6 months is quite early & typically a tough time with weaving, baby often starting to 'make strange'.

Now, on my second baby I took a p/t job starting when baby was 7 weeks! So I'd a toddler and a newborn & I was working p/t BUT I'd been made redundant from my job when pregnant so I felt I had to take it.

Go back to permanent job in May / June as planned, and plan your next step. It's hard right now to make long-term plans & you need to make it work for the whole family.

Another opportunity will come along! Good luck

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in