Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

5mth dd very distressed when I went to pick her up from trial day at nursery

(6 Posts)
missis Sat 01-Sep-07 23:17:02

I am returning to work this week after 6mths maternity leave. Financially I have no choice its either work or lose our house!

My mum is taking care of dd 4 days a week but I have offered to put dd in nursery one day as a break for mum. However, the nursey offered 2 'taster' sessions, one that I stayed for and then one where I left her for a couple of hours. She was fine for the first one but when I went to pick her up after leaving her she was puffy faced and had obviously been crying for a while. The nursery workers had clearly tried very hard to settle her but to no avail.

What do I do? Any similar experiences please?

1dilemma Sat 01-Sep-07 23:32:33

I'm sure it will be fine smile
It's good that they tried to settle her, it's also a little bit good she noticed you weren't there and missed you
I'm sure she will settle very well could your Mum pick her up early for you on that day for the first couple of weeks so she gradually but quite quickly increases her hours?
My lo barely looks back when dropped off now (only 9 months) makes me very sad.
Also 6 months is a good time for the separation anxiety it mainly happens later i think
so try not to worry

harpsichordcarrier Sat 01-Sep-07 23:35:50

hmm well tbh I would ask your mum if she would take her five days until you can sort something out. your baby is obviously not happy in this environment at this stage - maybe when she is older it will work better for her.
can you arrange some sort of flexible working arrangement so you can be at home one day? or work 4 days or 4 1/2, to give your mum some time off?
what about looking for a childminder? maybe a home type environment would be easier for your dd?

missis Sun 02-Sep-07 08:53:05

Thankyou for your comments.
I am afraid flexible working hours are not possible in my job.
I may try a child minder

1dilemma Sun 02-Sep-07 10:19:37

Sorry they were totally opposite, I work FT and have used nurseries this time I really found it very difficult to leave my lo, found myself wanting to leave work, thinking bad things about the nursery (we've used it quite a bit and I know it's fine) but 3 months in it's all fine (still want to leave work sometimes though wink

missis Mon 03-Sep-07 07:43:04

Thankyou so much that makes me feel a lot better

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now