Talk

Advanced search

Job to fit around school hours

(7 Posts)
DaxsMum Sun 02-Feb-20 12:46:01

Looking for suggestions and ideas for a job that would allow me to drop lo off at child minders as well as pick him up again. Really it needs to start with hours 9.30-2.30 two days a week with the flexibility to add to that overtime. My current work experience is in childcare and care but I am happy to consider jobs away from this. Have thought about a delivery driver but it seems too early to be contacting any companies about this. I’m not looking to return until September. I’m just exploring ideas and options. What has fit in with your family? Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Sweethaven Sun 02-Feb-20 21:01:34

Delivery is good, such as Hermes etc. You can pick your own hours and own days

Hoppetyflop Mon 10-Feb-20 13:38:09

Have you considered school jobs? Usually opportunities like midday supervisor or TA?

Spongeb0b Thu 13-Feb-20 10:26:22

I would avoid school jobs unless they specifically state those hours as you are usually expected to work full days in term time - though the holidays are good if you're a TA. Not usually an option to work extra hours though (well not paid ones anyway!) I would look in to the care sector - I know someone who works in a hospital around school hours - they chose from a variety of shift patterns

CuckooSings Thu 13-Feb-20 10:37:38

I'm a dinner lady in a secondary school and work 11 a.m. till 2 p.m term time only. I have 2 dcs with additional needs and one small dc so its a good balance.

Spongeb0b Thu 13-Feb-20 12:57:34

Yes dinner lady would work, as I say - if the hours are specific to what you need it's great. But TA jobs don't tend to be as family friendly as people think - asides from the holidays. It's like teaching - you're generally expected to be there for the school day and before and after, unless you've negotiated something different.

Aureum Thu 13-Feb-20 13:08:43

A college course can be 5-15 hours a week, if you’re a learning support assistant or unqualified teacher they can allocate you classes that fit with your available hours. Most of these type of jobs will be hourly paid and available through an agency. Driving a taxi or deliveries is also a good option. Or some sort of craft business where you‘re self employed and sell what you create. Things like personalised T-shirts and mugs are easy to do. Cleaning and gardening would also fit. Or maybe freelance graphic design or web design.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in