Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

anyone a domiciliary care worker for agincare or similar?

(17 Posts)
myjobismum Wed 29-Aug-07 20:02:50

i have a job interview for part time care worker on tuesday - would just like to hear from people honestly and realisticaly what the job involves, what the pay is like, and how it actually works??

thanks

myjobismum Wed 29-Aug-07 20:24:26

anyone?

scootermum Wed 29-Aug-07 20:33:20

Hi,
I manage a care service but have also worked in the community..is that what the job is, going to peoples houses to deliver care, or is it a job in a nursing or residential home or the like?

Either way job will probably involve doing lots of personal care, (giving baths, changing incontinence pads etc), and depending on the nature of the person, might involve lifting (ie people into bed), but training MUST be given for this on the job before you do it!(dont hurt your back!)There also may be a bit of cooking, making peoples teas etc, cleaning sometimes, or helping to arrange and attend appointments...and hopefully there will be some time thats jsut social time where you get to just talk to the people you are caring for..

If its on the community you will be expected to travel between peoples houses, which can be pretty stressful if jobs are one after the other but in different areas..if thats the case, check what they will give you per mile towards your costs..

Pay for care isnt usually that great..my care staff get paid slightly above the minimum wage...however it can be the best job ever!So rewarding!I loved it when I was a care assistant-it was my best ever job!

myjobismum Wed 29-Aug-07 20:38:27

its in home care - the job i have applied for states "mostly domestic care required, however some clients may require some physical care on occasions - e.g. personal hygiene" personal hygiene not being something that will bother me personally!

I am hoping to work 2 days a week, so shouldnt be too stressful in the overall scheme of things!

do you get to see the same clients regularly and get to know them, or not?

as far as money goes, as long as they pay me £5.50 p/hour - plus miles - or more then i will be more than happy!

does this sound good?

also never done anything like this before - so tips for the interview would be greatly welcomed!

myjobismum Wed 29-Aug-07 21:58:45

anyone else?

scootermum Thu 30-Aug-07 17:02:11

You should get to see clients regularly if the people you are working for are any good!

Just stress in the interview that you want to help people help themselves where possible thus improving their quality of life and empwering them, (rather than doing everything for them, getting them to be involved)That would impress me anyway if I were interviewing...

Let us know how you go..good luck!

myjobismum Thu 30-Aug-07 20:15:04

blimey - great tip thanks - will have to try and memorise it now and recite it as if i havent spent ages learning it wink that is honestly the way i feel anyway! i put something similar in my application "i want to help people do things they can no longer manage easily on their own, to support them in day to day activities whilst letting them hold onto thier dignity at all times - I just want to care!"
I think my form impressed them as i posted the form friday evening (after 6) so it would have got there sat, or tues morn (was bank hol mon) and they phoned me at 10.30 on the tuesday and i had postal confirmation the next day!

hoping if i get the job that i will be able to get to know the clients i am working with so they can feel both comfotable and confident around me!

ImBarryScott Thu 30-Aug-07 20:24:22

hello myjobismum,

I did care work part-time when I was a student. The money is rubbish, the agencies will drive you up the wall, the hours can be long....but it's probably worth it smile.

You're out and about all day, seeing different people, and you'll meet some real stars. People have so many fascinating stories to tell! You might get the odd grumpy so-and-so, but I found them few and far between.

I still work with people in a healthcare setting today, and it's one of the most fulfilling things you can do.

Good luck for the interview - you sound like you're a perfect candidate smile.

myjobismum Thu 30-Aug-07 20:54:02

awww. thanks!

i am VERY nervous though - havent worked properly since before DS was born (nearly 2yrs ago) and havent done a job interview since oh..... beginning of 2002 - argghhhhhhhhhh! think i will be feeling a little bit sicky on the morning!

scootermum Fri 31-Aug-07 08:58:47

Where do you live?You sound lovely-do you want to come and work for me?!
Best of luck!

snig Fri 31-Aug-07 09:19:11

i am a care worker in the community, the job is great mostly, people that i see i have on a regular basis so i gotten to build good relationships with most of them. i haven't really met any horrible clients but i think that if you listen to them and don't patronise them and do what they what you to do rather than what you think is best then you'll be fine. The only down side to my job is the agency i work for who expect you to be on time for every job but give you no travel time, pile on the work so sometimes in a 10 hour shift you don't even get a break and always try an shaft you for the mileage that you do ie never give the correct amount of miles . Make sure that you write down exactly how many miles you do and how long it tkaes you to get there. Oh and good luck.

myjobismum Fri 31-Aug-07 14:40:38

scootermum - unfortunately i live nowhere near you ..... sad but looking at your profile i can see our DC's are similar age!

myjobismum Tue 04-Sep-07 12:04:49

hi there all who replied before - just to let you know, interview went well, and we discussed hours etc so that wont be a problem, just have to wait and hear now whether they want me!

she says it will be a slow process though, because of CRB check and training/induction dates

thanks for the support - i will keep you updated on the outcome (fingers crossed)

smile

papilion Tue 04-Sep-07 13:04:21

Hi myjobismum

Wishing you well with with the care work position.

I read (eavesdropped) your conversations with kittenbaby and want to say how much I admired the support and kindness you gave her, something which was lacking from the professionals.

Noted that you are hoping in the future to train as a midwife and wondered if you had considered applying to work as a midwifery supporter(MSW).

It can be great grounding for midwifery training, gets you used to hospital protocol, routine, terminolgy etc.

Hope this doesn't sound presumptious

myjobismum Tue 04-Sep-07 13:15:15

lol - eavesdropper!!! grin

i try my best to be helpful and caring in anyway i can!

how do i find out about this midwifery support worker thing?

thanks

papilion Tue 04-Sep-07 13:24:24

Have a word with the local Maternity Unit/Hospital.

Sometimes the positions are only advertised internally, but most have a website with email addresses where you could ask for further information.

They encourage you to undertake relevant NVQ's.

I have worked with some fantastic MSW's whose kindness and quality of care made all the difference to new mums.

Hopefully if there are a few of them amongst other mumsnetters they can provide other pointers.

myjobismum Tue 04-Sep-07 13:43:17

ok thanks alot - will def look into it!

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now