Talk

Advanced search

Practical tips for moving to a FT office based senior role

(2 Posts)
savvylife Sat 11-Jan-20 16:09:25

As it says after many years of running my own business and working for other companies fairly flexibly i may be about to move into office based full time pretty senior role. over my career since the DC i have prioritised them over my career and have bypassed promotions. I now have an opportunity to make a senior role work. I am nervous about how home life will be - the practical but also the emotional support for my kids. To give more information i have teens 17 and 14. The oldest has had mental health issues and illness but is much much better now. and the 14 year old is a typical developing teen but who has also been affected by their siblings health. I know it is not the same as when they are little - their needs are more emotional rather than practical.

Saying that having been around they have had the advantage of having me around after school quite a bit so things such as food, pep talks, being picked up if bad weather (for the 17 year old) etc. have always been there.

I think me going back to work in an office will be good for them - make them more independent but also good for me and we need the money. I really want home life to work well - not just surviving but actually working optimally to allow me to focus on work when at work and thrive there. I am really looking for practical tips that have helped any of you.

Plan is that i will be out of the house between 730 and 7 every day as a minimum. I may be able to work from home one day a week (but not sure yet). I will definitely get a cleaner (dont have one currently). the older teen can lock up house and get themselves to school and back no probs as has been doing that. Probably will need to kit them out with all weather stuff for when weather is really bad. School is walking distance but far enough that you would need to wrap up well if weather bad (heavy rain etc). Younger teen will take bus/coach to school - so he will need to get himself to busstop on time etc with all his kit (he has a lot) and he will have to know how to get in - we have a tricky door so will need to teach him how to open it and hope that he doesn't lose his keys.

They will need to sort themselves out in terms of snacks and ideally i would want something to hand for dinner should I or DH get delayed. Any tips here? They cant cook extensively (can do simple stuff) and i don't really want them cooking when they both have had full on days and have a lot of homework (oldest is in her final year a levels). Heating up is fine. I also don't want to be tied to the stove when i get back from work. DH works very far away so has an even longer day than me. he is going to adjust so that he can get home earlier at least one day a week - maybe twice (if i am lucky). laundry and ironing will be done daily so it doesn't add up and all food shopping on the weekend

I am also worried about missing out on my time with the kids in the car back from school - youngest school is a bit far away so we would get time in the car. I have found this really helpful to understand what is going on with school or with them. Once they are home and doing their own things they dont want to talk about it.

Sorry for the essay but would welcome any tips on what has worked for you.

OP’s posts: |
BF888 Sat 11-Jan-20 21:32:20

Just remember it’s quality of time spent not quantity. You will figure it out and I think it’s important to show your kids that challenges will happen all throughout life, you’ll be teaching them more than you realise in doing this. You’re Giving t them independence which is so important, especially for your 17 year old if they plan on going to uni etc. A little responsibility at both their ages won’t do them any harm.

In terms of meals, where you’re not tied to the stove/in case of emergency and easy to heat up. Could you do slow cooker meals? This way it’s practically done for everybody when you’re home, or In case of an emergency the kids can sort themselves out. Could you batch cook and then take things out in the am to defrost and ready to heat up for kids when they’re in or you’re back home. Also Jamie Oliver does quick meal recipes, I tend to look for inspiration more than following the recipe but a lot you can get cooked in less than 30mins, which is ideal when you can’t be bothered doing anything too time consuming but still a good hearty meal.

Maybe make meal time the new catch up time, you listen to the kids, and you and DH both talk about your days and the kids will get insight into that too.

Try not to worry too much as much, as it’s a change for you you’re bound to, but i think everything will work out fine!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in