Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of applying for a new job that is slightly beyond me - should i do it?

(4 Posts)
Raspberrytable Thu 23-Aug-07 13:53:53

i have seena job advertised that sounds like something I know I would be good. However there are two points listed that I feel would be slightly beyond my current skills but I could learn in time. DH has said there is no point chnaging job for another one exactly the same and the fact that this will stretch me a bit is a good thing as I will never get on unless I try new challenges.

Not sure whether to apply and if I did get an interview, how would explain that i can't do two of the pints but think I could learn.

They might not even offer an intervoew as my CV will show I haven't covered these to things before.

fleacircus Thu 23-Aug-07 13:57:55

Apply. Of course you'll be able to learn. Your DP is right and (sweeping generalisation drumroll...) women regularly underestimate themselves in the employment market in exactly the way you're describing.

Do it. Good luck.

doggiesayswoof Thu 23-Aug-07 14:06:16

Agree with fleacircus.

If you get an interview, remember you only need to explain about the two specific things if they ask you. In your application, make sure you mention that you are quick to learn and willing to pick up new skills. Sometimes job adverts are a "wish list" of skills/experience and employers are often prepared to give people a chance if they have some but not all.

I always say you have nothing to lose if you do; however you may lose out if you don't try.

bigmouthstrikesagain Thu 23-Aug-07 14:12:28

I applied for a job that i felt slightly was out of my league - but i made sure I covered all the points in their spec in my application, examples that I could show applied similar skills or the ability to adapt. My keenness got me the job - and I ended up doing a masters while working to improve my skills in the field. All fully supported by my employer - though it is generally easier to do this in the public sector as i was.

Go for it! and good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now