Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone work in film editing who could give some advice?

(3 Posts)
4cupsofcoffee Tue 03-Dec-19 17:20:32

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone here knows anyone who works in film & TV? Specifically the role of a special effects editor. The reason I ask is because I would love to find out more about the job role and day to day set up.

So would you advise to begin a career in the film industry as a woman? I had a friend years ago who’s family and friends were well connected and all of them worked at the film studios near my house. So naturally they all went into the film industry and this particular guy has worked with the stars, travels often and has basically had a really good career and he’s not even 30 years old yet. He told me that not many women do this job - specifically special effects and editing etc. I’ve never forgotten that comment and I just want to know if it’s true... is it because his work may involve moving cameras or heavy machinery around because I cannot understand why there wouldn’t be a lot of women..

I assume that I will cross paths with him again at the studios in our local area as there are two major ones on my doorstep. The thing is, I would like to get some info on the real job description. Do most editors work freelance or are they hired on a contract by a studio or company etc? Also training to do the degree; is the actual work difficult as in, learning the software and editing programs and figuring out how to become very skilled? I ask because I'm worried that this is the type of career that you might have to be really good at or know someone in the industry to get your foot in the door... I really have a passion however I am hesitant as there’s not a lot of information around and I want to be 100% sure before I apply to university. Also may I add I am 27 years old however I am planning on taking a few years out of working to go back and study, so that I can fully focus on getting a career.

Please give any advice you can 😊😊

OP’s posts: |
4cupsofcoffee Thu 05-Dec-19 07:57:02

smile

OP’s posts: |
VeggieTr1angle Fri 06-Dec-19 14:05:09

I know some people that have worked in film editing. There are different types, the ones I am aware of;

24x7x365 operation with on call duties, if there are faults that require fixing asap
Could mean working very long hours
Could be not very family friendly, depends what sort of film editing

Technology changes, so you would need to continually learn new skills

Good communication, team player

Customers expect high quality & their product to function correctly 99.9 percent of the time

There are laws related to advertising, age related content, 18+ content, different countries have different laws etc. You can find more info on the internet

What websites have you already looked at ?

What qualifications ?

Sometimes it helps you if you are 'recommended by a friend'

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in