Talk

Advanced search

Am I being discriminated at work against post natal depression which has lasted for more than 12 months?

(4 Posts)
Skysha Tue 08-Oct-19 03:05:44

Hello everyone I hope you are all well....
So I'd like to ask for some advice if anyone has the spare time to lend me some as I am going out of my mind thinking of all the potential possibilities.
I had a set of twin girls in Feb 2018 and was meant to return to work as a Nursery Practitioner in a school at some point in Jan 2019
Since Jan I haven't returned, I was signed off until March due to PND(post natal depression) and since then I haven't returned even though I am fit to return.
There were various messages back and forth from occupational health to my psychiatrist to the school etc. Anyhow I recently had a new report from occupational and they have said, that due to the nature of the PND I should have a phased return to work in a supernumerary supervised capacity. I'm not entirely sure what that even means.
However, I have a very big gut feeling that the school will refuse and say they cannot accommodate around those reasonable adjustments and will want to sack me. The reason of sacking they will most likely put down to 'concerns of safeguarding'

So do I stand a chance of taking them to a tribunal?
Has anyone been in a similar situation?

It's a very confusing situation because they have been paying me since Jan 2019 when I should have returned. Part of me feels like they genuinely want me to return, but if they did then surely they would make those reasonable adjustments?

OP’s posts: |
happyasasandboy Tue 08-Oct-19 07:08:17

A phased return on a supernumerary basis means that you'd return to work on an agreed pattern of shorter days or less days, with them continuing to employ someone to cover your normal role so that you are "extra" and can be supervised during your phased return.

I don't work in a nursery, but my work would deal with this in a similar way to yours (though I'm not sure about full pay since January!). Postnatal depression is not exempt from sickness absence procedures (explicitly in our work policy) and so the normal managing attendance policy would apply, a return with reasonable adjustments supported, and failing that they'd move to dismissal on the grounds of poor attendance.

I'm sorry you're in this situation. Is there any way you can engage with your GP or Occupational Health and try a phased return?

Skysha Wed 06-Nov-19 18:42:15

Quick update so my employer went back to occupational health and I have finally returned. It's a phased return and in Jan 2020 I'll be back to full time. I'm so happy they reconsidered. No way should people have to loose their job because they had PND. Women shouldn't even have to fear speaking up and risk loosing their occupation. Thank you everyone who comments

OP’s posts: |
happyasasandboy Fri 08-Nov-19 21:03:04

That's great news!

I really hope the phased return goes well and you're able to get back to your normal hours in the new year thanks

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in