Talk

Advanced search

How can I make my CV relevant to retail.

(4 Posts)
PetulaClarkson Fri 04-Oct-19 13:17:16

I am looking to apply to some local retail shops in my town after being a SAHM for a long time.

I have a lot of corporate experience in some very good companies (e.g. Consulting houses) but I also have 3 years experience working for 5-star luxury hotels. I spent 1 year in the front office of one hotel and the other as their HR Manager. Although this is back office, being extremely smart and being part of the customer service had to be a given. I also have retail experience from Uni etc. working in a boutique and shoe shop.

My most recent experience is all consulting and corporate. I don't really want to leave this off as it shows I am intelligent and committed, but at the same time I want to get across that I have worked in customer facing roles and in a 5-Star hotel, that has to be tip top.

Any ideas?

OP’s posts: |
Nicola1892 Sat 05-Oct-19 07:47:44

What type of retail job are you going for? I worked in luxury retail for years and I hired people with no retail experience all the time. Try and base your CV around customer service, organisations, working in busy environments. Working in a diverse environment and with a diverse clientele. X

PetulaClarkson Sat 05-Oct-19 11:47:08

Thx. Good advice.

OP’s posts: |
totallygrey Sat 05-Oct-19 12:00:21

Similar feedback - look up functional CV and use that format. Pick out the skills and experience most relevant to retail (eg customer experience, working as team etc) and show how you've demonstrated this in any of your roles, including corporate.

Then list the chronological bit at end.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in