Talk

Advanced search

Interview tips

(4 Posts)
Manniyork Thu 03-Oct-19 08:29:36

Does anyone on here work in recruitment ? I would like some advice / tips please as I’m going to a job interview in a week and I have really bad social anxiety. I have been off work for over a year due to illness and am wanting to get back Into work. I am fine on the phones and can get interviews it’s just the talking face to face part and trying to sell myself that’s the issue. I have had a couple of interviews recently and one I burst into tears and the other I went blank. My confidence is at rock bottom but I need to work both for money (single mum with 2 girls) and for my own sanity . I really want this job I’m going for but am so scared I’m going to mess it up again . Sorry for the long message

OP’s posts: |
dad2hen Thu 03-Oct-19 10:10:05

Hello! It's great that you want to get back into work and in turn that will help your anxiety to.

Sorry to hear about your last interviews but at least be proud of yourself that you went to them instead of shying away as that's progress!

I don't know how to help you with completely solving the social anxiety as that's quite personal and will most likely only improve with constant exposure, but have you tried some off the counter remedies like rescue remedy, calms, and there's a whole shelf in boots. Just make sure you have a mint if you use liquid rescue remedy because it makes your breathe smell like alcohol!

Depending on what the job is could you also phone in advance and inform them of your issue and just be really honest about it?

On the interview side, its really good to bring a notepad and write beforehand key things you want to mention so you don't go blank and you don't waffle on and then afterwards think oops I didn't mention any of this.

I like to write down some really risky questions to like "how would your staff describe you as a manager" it always throws them but you want to gauge what type of person they are before asking these so have a bunch of questions written down on separate pages and bookmark them. Just tailor your notes to the company style.

Bring multiple copies of your cv to in a folder so you can provide each interviewer with a copy. Even if they have it already it shows a high level of organisation. You can also mention with the note pad "I hope it's ok I brought this notepad as I love being organised and writing things down"

I really hope it goes well for you and try not to worry to much leading up to the interview, they liked you enough on the phone to want to meet you so that's great.

KaliforniaDreamz Thu 03-Oct-19 10:13:57

@dadtoHen
That's a really good reply!
I am reading with interested. I have an interview next week, first in over a decade (been working from home and all my work is gained throught word of mouth.)
Am terrified!!

Good luck OP! x

dad2hen Thu 03-Oct-19 10:27:18

@kaliforniaDreamz

That's great news on getting the interview! Good luck to you as well! It's totally normal to be nervous before an interview if they offer you a drink take it as the delay in them getting it for you allows you time to settle into the environment and get more comfortable if you're feeling a touch nervous

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in