Do I or don’t I return to work

(9 Posts)
lorza03 Tue 24-Sep-19 07:04:52

I feel so confused and my husband says don’t worry about it yet but I feel I need to sort out or at least have a plan. I have 3 children my daughter is 4 this November so has just missed the school intake my son is 2 and me other son is 4 1/2 months - I went back to work before my 3rd son and works 2 long days on Monday and Friday 8am-6pm to then come home to my children was tough going . I have worked out if I went back to work 2 days after paying the nursery for my sons 2 days a week and my daughters lunches which come to £36 pounds I would be left with a salary of £360 pounds . I’m just so confused - my children have a few hobbies , I pay to keep the car running and a few other bits my husband does pay for most things. I’m just not sure what to do ! Any help or. Advise would be so amazing

OP’s posts: |
madeyemoodysmum Tue 24-Sep-19 07:07:22

Do you enjoy your work. Is a career important to you. If the answer is yes then I’d go back as in years to follow it might make a big difference.

If your on a no progression min wage job maybe not.

PlugUgly1980 Tue 24-Sep-19 07:15:53

It's a tough choice, but try and think about longer term benefits of returning to work. The early years are tough when you have little salary left after paying childcare, but the benefits are you've remained in employment and therefore may find it easier to progress your career when you're children are older. Mine are 3 and 5 now, so one in pre-school and nursery and the other in school and after school club. It's much easier now childcare costs have reduced and the 30 hours funding has kicked in for the youngest. I've also been promoted at work, so whilst it's still tricky juggling drop offs and pick ups, financially we're much better off so it's been worth it. Also depends on your outlook, I needed to return to work for my own sanity, I admire anyone who can be a full time stay at home parent, but it wasn't for me. I enjoy my job though and make the most of being able to pop into town and do jobs on my lunch break. I've learnt to be super organised so always do an online shop, and I know its frowned on on here, but I do also have a cleaner for a few hours each week (my little luxury). It means that I can keep weekends purely for family time without worrying about doing house stuff. By working you're also potentially contributing to a pension and NI so longer term benefits too. At the end of the day there's no right or wrong answer, but remember to do what's right for you as well as your family. Your happiness is just as important.

EdithWeston Tue 24-Sep-19 07:28:06

Stay in work.

It's good for your long term prospects (the high-bill years of early childcare are hell, but they pass) and your familiy's financial stability (not depending on just one income stream).

Do remember that the expenses are joint expenses - don't just knock it off yours. Your household income has risen, even allowing for the childcare bills, which are necessary for both of you to work

Normandy144 Tue 24-Sep-19 07:51:32

Like others have said it all depends on how much you value the work bith from a career point of view and a mental health aspect. Don't look at the money thing as just based on your salary. Your family income is a whole so for now your salary adds a little extra to the pot but that won't always be the way once the child care bill decreases.

Chewbecca Tue 24-Sep-19 07:53:51

Stay in work. As few hours as possible but keeping the experience and knowledge going was, for me, well worth it later on.

Redcrayons Tue 24-Sep-19 08:29:37

I would also say stay in work if you can. £360 is more than I was left with when I first went back.
The pick up/drop off cycle was hellish at first, but once they’re in school it calms down a bit.
I’ve got Friends who are now looking for work after 10 years out of the workforce and are really struggling to get back.

lorza03 Tue 24-Sep-19 09:13:36

Thank you all for your comments! I really enjoy my work I’m a veterinary nurse and although you can improve salary a bit it would mean intense working in the veterinary world. I was so sad to leave work before having my little boy and I worked as far as possible until my due date. I enjoy the social environment and also yes just keeping your sanity. I feel there was more structure in my life while I was working and was also happier to. As time goes on I’m finding it hard to be at home- I feel quite alone and must admit get a little bored of doing chaos. Thanks all ! Return to work jan 2020 will be me 👍🏼

OP’s posts: |
madeyemoodysmum Tue 24-Sep-19 09:20:03

I was an ex vet nurse too and I know the jobs in that field are hard to get so in your case I’d go back and manage for those first few years.
Good luck.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in