Talk

Advanced search

Can I be made to do KIT days?

(16 Posts)
Izzystar31 Fri 13-Sep-19 10:44:14

I’m due a meeting with my boss tomorrow, however I saw him yesterday when I went into work to collect something. I’m 8 months into my maternity leave and have already told them I plan on taking the full year.
He was in a bad mood anyway but he said “you’ve got 10 KIT days to get in before you come back” I said they’re not mandatory are they.
He said “maybe not all 10 but you have to do 2 or 3”

I’m loving my mat leave and don’t want to go back until I have to do really do not want to do KIT days. Can he make me do this?

kjhkj Fri 13-Sep-19 10:45:51

No

PrincessSarene Fri 13-Sep-19 10:46:14

No. KIT days are not enforceable by either party. You can ask for them and the company can say no. The company can ask you to come in and you can say no. You cannot be penalised for not doing KIT days.

Ffsnosexallowed Fri 13-Sep-19 10:46:48

Kit days are optional, you and your employer need to agree them. Bit late to have them now I would have thought?

Hopesorfears Fri 13-Sep-19 10:52:22

Well they could help with the start back to have been in, he is unreasonable to suggest they are compulsory but not unreasonable to suggest they could be mutually beneficial. Remember you get paid for them. I didn't do them as had zero childcare up until my actual childcare kicked in, but I think it would have made the return less of a trauma if I had done!

Hopesorfears Fri 13-Sep-19 10:53:47

Why would it be too late though? OP has three months left.

Shadowboy Fri 13-Sep-19 10:56:20

Whilst not mandatory- I can’t understand why you wouldn’t want to do a couple? You’ll have been off for a year, surely it would help integrating back into a team having a couple of days in the lead up to a return so it’s not so daunting?

Herja Fri 13-Sep-19 11:00:15

Offer to use the meeting today as a KIT day...

Herja Fri 13-Sep-19 11:00:51

Sorry, the meeting tomorrow.

PastTippingPoint Fri 13-Sep-19 11:05:50

No. I didn't do any KIT days, even though i took the full 12 months off, as i didn't have childcare like another PP. I was fine returning to work without having done any. When i met with my manager prior to returning she didn't mention doing any. Colleagues of mine have used KIT days for mandatory training though which may have been useful.

hopefulhalf Fri 13-Sep-19 11:55:37

No I don't think they can make you, but as PP said surely they are mutually beneficial. I don't however think they should have phrased it like that. Agree you should count tommorow as a KIT day. Wish theyhadbeen around for me.

Hopesorfears Fri 13-Sep-19 14:05:24

Yes in what way are you "due a meeting" with your boss tomorrow?

Lazypuppy Sat 14-Sep-19 11:44:21

Not mandatory but they are paid at ypur full rate of pay and i found made the transition back to work much eaiser.

I fid 1 a week for the final 10 weeks of my maternity leave

Izzystar31 Sat 14-Sep-19 11:51:43

Thanks for the responses, I’m pretty sure I don’t want to do any so don’t need persuading, just needed to know if I HAD to or could object.
I don’t want to go back to work unless I absolutely have to haha

GemmeFatale Sat 14-Sep-19 20:22:23

If you’re popping in to collect things and attending meetings that’s what KIT days are for and you should be getting paid for that activity.

Oh look. You’ve done two. His criteria has been met and you get paid for something you were willing to do for free.

luckygreeneyes Sat 14-Sep-19 20:26:24

You should be using kit days for these meetings you are having with them- they should be paying you

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »