Talk

Advanced search

Denied Flexible Working Hours

(19 Posts)
helloandthankyou Mon 02-Sep-19 22:34:34

Hi all,

Unfortunately my manager has denied my resent request to return to work after my maternity leave. I asked for two days a week; he wants a minimum of four days.

My salary does not cover childcare so I would be working at a loss and missing out on time with my baby (who is growing up fast!!) I don't think working for less than childcare costs, whilst missing out on some very special moments is really worth it just to stay employed. I could cope with paying out to be there for two days a week, but to pay for four seems too much.

My question is - if I choose to walk away from my role, where do I stand? Will I also be giving up the right to claim any benefits?

TIA!

helloandthankyou Mon 02-Sep-19 22:35:02

*recent request that should read

notacooldad Mon 02-Sep-19 22:38:46

We were in tbe same position when we had our kids.
However we looked at the bigger picture of continuous employment, pension contributions etc. Looking back tbe time went in a flash.

Isleepinahedgefund Tue 03-Sep-19 17:23:02

You would be giving up a perfectly good job so yes I’d expect it would have an effect on your benefits claim.

You need to play the long game here. Life on benefits is not fun. You will not be able to spend all your time bonding with your child - You will have to start preparing to look for work when your child turns 2 and start working when they turn 3. You’ll be in a much better position if you keep the job you have and play the long game. Use the tax free childcare allowance. You’ll get 30 hours free from a certain age.

Have a look at this, particularly the table at the bottom. www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-and-your-family-quick-guide/universal-credit-further-information-for-families

AntiHop Tue 03-Sep-19 17:35:55

I'd call the maternity action advice line for advice on how it would affect claiming benefits.

lovemenorca Tue 03-Sep-19 17:37:08

No impact on benefits
No need to work until youngest is 3

TipseyTorvey Tue 03-Sep-19 17:41:19

I agree with isleepinahedgefund, the long game is the thing here. Even if you go back 4 days now, your manager may move on or other opportunities might come up that get you to 2 or 3 days in the future. The thing to think about is your pension, mortgage and employment prospects after several years of not working.

ELM8 Tue 03-Sep-19 17:46:19

Agree about the long game. Also, double check what happens with your maternity pay if you don't go back, as some places make you pay it back.

helloandthankyou Tue 03-Sep-19 18:57:52

Thanks guys

Forgot to mention that my job is also a 2.5 hour commute each way. So five hours of driving each day, eight hours of work.

helloandthankyou Tue 03-Sep-19 18:58:25

They have said they are happy for me to just not return as I didn’t receive maternity pay from them

NoBaggyPants Tue 03-Sep-19 19:00:38

Look for something closer to home?

Do you have a partner? Are you eligible for help with childcare costs under Universal Credit?

blackcat86 Tue 03-Sep-19 19:01:13

Are you planning another baby? Could you return for the min period and then go off with DC2? Serious question as I have a friend in a similar position and this is what she is doing. That way she has condensed her time out of the workforce, will go back for the min time again and then apply for jobs that work better for her.

helloandthankyou Tue 03-Sep-19 19:45:49

I'm not sure that I could do that drive every day even for a week! I went in for my work meeting and was shattered for a few days afterwards.

I think I will look for something a little closer to home and also keep running my wedding photography business.

I'm not sure if we are eligible for help or not. Partner earns over £16k a year so is not classed as a low earner

Sunshine196 Tue 03-Sep-19 20:24:31

I would expect you will be entitled to some financial help if that is your partners wage. 2.5 hour commute each way with a small child isn't realistic. I'd definitely look for something else

Sunshine196 Tue 03-Sep-19 20:26:55

Sorry I misread your post about partners wage. Still, it doesn't sound like your current role is suitable with 2 kids & associated childcare costs. I got made redundant just after mat leave & retrained as a childminder. I don't earn mega bucks although I earn much more than my previous role as not paying childcare for my own. it's worked brilliantly for us so far. Hope you get sorted.

Me33 Fri 06-Sep-19 20:50:17

You can get up to 70% of childcare costs paid under universal credit. Your partner is on minimum wage so depending on your wage there’s a chance you could get some help. Have a look at www.entitledto.co.uk there is a calculator on there that will work out what you can get.

carly2803 Fri 06-Sep-19 22:04:52

its 85%now on universal credit

personally i would work part time, use UC and enjoythe best of both worlds!

GoneToTheDock Fri 06-Sep-19 22:09:00

2.5 hours EACH WAY??? I guess you were quite well paid? What is it you do?

Can you find something closer to home or move?

Daffodil2018 Wed 09-Oct-19 16:01:36

Have you moved during mat leave or were you commuting 5 hours a day while you were pregnant? shock

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »