Talk

Advanced search

I need ideas about what to do next

(4 Posts)
abrilliantidea Sat 24-Aug-19 10:50:07

I'm a mum in my 40's with chronic health conditions. My youngest is about to start school and I'm going to have some free time on my hands. My children both have additional needs and at times I am very busy some weeks going to appointments for them or me (my own health needs). My eldest doesn't cope with childcare after school yet so any work I do needs to consider all these obstacles. In addition, my own health is not great. I haven't been able to work in 1.5 years. I need to be on antidepressants permanently for my recurrent depression and anxiety. I have a heart condition which makes standing up very difficult most days. I rest in between having to be up and about by lying down & keeping feet elevated. Nevertheless i do suffer chronically from fatigue but I'm used to that now. What I'm saying is I can't be on my feet in any work. I also suffer from muscular and joint pains all over but again I'm used to it and as long as I don't over do it, I get by fine. Dealing with people is hard for me. I have aspergers and misunderstandings are so common with me. I always end up leaving work with stress due to these types of issues.
I'm very well qualified with a degree and an MSc in business administration. I had a career before I had my children but since then all my energy goes into looking after my family (I'm separated too). When I had my career, it took all my energy but now I don't have any energy left over for a proper career anymore. Stress wise, I can't cope with anything much either.
It's a shame really after all my hard work getting qualified and building a career but I have to face facts.
So I'm left with this question...now what?
People think I'm lazy but I'm really not. I'm sad I won't ever have a career again. But I know my limits. I have mental and physical disabilities.
Volunteering wise - what is there for someone who cannot commit? For someone who can't be on their feet? For someone who needs nurtured themselves and is hypersensitive? For someone who doesn't know how to make small talk? For someone who will me MIA for weeks at a time?
What volunteer jobs are out there that would work for me?
Thank you for reading.

OP’s posts: |
sleepismysuperpower1 Sat 24-Aug-19 13:12:43

could you do something like this? they ask for a few hours each week and there are different roles avaliable x

Isleepinahedgefund Sat 24-Aug-19 19:07:47

Realistically you can't expect an employer (paid or voluntary) to nurture you, so I would let go of that one up front. It isn't their role.

Could you go in to school and help there? Not necessarily with the children - we make a point of finding meaningful roles for volunteers who don't want to work with the kids at our school. Helping with office admin, sticking work in books, helping to catalogue books in the library, those are a few "sitting down" examples I can think of. Might be worth a word with the head to see what's possible.

With your qualifications we would bite your hand off to help in the office!

Wewin Sun 25-Aug-19 08:58:13

Thank you for your ideas. They are both good ideas.
Although I'm not sure they would be happy with me not being able to come in every week? These ideas are helping me to focus on what I like doing. I do definitely need something that inspires me. A good cause that I'm passionate about. Thank you for your suggestions.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in