Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Health and Safety jobs

(5 Posts)
Skribble Sun 05-Aug-07 23:16:55

Wondered if anyone did this as a job and could tell me more about the courses, they do them at the local college but don't want to waste my time doing a basic if I have to do a higher level course to get an actual job.

Tigana Mon 06-Aug-07 15:31:33

What is course called?
To be a H&S "professional" you need NEBOSH qualification I believe.

Skribble Mon 06-Aug-07 22:33:45

Well thats the thing there are different ones and not sure what order they are ie levels. I have looked at the H&S website and its not clear to me.

One I can do localy is "NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Safety and Health" but is 16 week afternoon into evening, but I am starting a distance learning foundation degree so this would be a bit much just now, so perhaps I will have to leave it or do something more basic.

nooka Mon 06-Aug-07 22:53:34

I'd look for a few adverts for H&S officers and see what qualification they are requiring. We are just about to recruit one and looking for post graduate qualification level, but that's for the lead for my trust, so they'll need to be experienced too. There is a shortage though, so it might well be worth exploring. I know the basic course (IOSH, I think it's called) is five days with an exam, so you are looking at something intermediate level there I think.

Skribble Tue 07-Aug-07 21:10:16

Ah ha 5 days sounds a bit more managable for now, it is something I might want to take further but obviously I don't want to commit to too much just now.

I had looked a quite lot of ads and they either want graduates or don't give detail just say a qualification.

Thanks I will look inot the IOSH.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: