Talk

Advanced search

Why do I never even make it to interview ☹️

(17 Posts)
Greywillow12 Thu 08-Aug-19 11:09:15

Hiya just a rant really! Ive been out of work now for 18 months . Now starting to look for part time work . Just minimum wage whatever I can get really.

Well after handing out C.Vs and doing online applications etc. I always get rejected at the first hurdle. But before I had the time off. Nearly everytime I needed a new job I would always get to interview stage and never had any problem getting the Job.

Is it because of the 18 month gap? I've not stated the reason for this on C.V's . It's really starting to get to me. These jobs are just your basic things like shop assistant etc. It seem like they want so much experience or state no experience necessary when I do have experience it says other candidates have more even though it says no experience needed ☹️.

I recently moved to a small town so I get the impression it's who you know sort of thing. Also there isn't a great deal of jobs about. But I'm not fussy I just need a small wage coming in.

Sorry for the rant and thanks for reading.

Dinosforall Thu 08-Aug-19 11:10:38

I'd say it is the gap - can you put in a line to briefly explain?

Pineapplefish Thu 08-Aug-19 11:15:24

It could be the gap, but it could also be that you say you're looking for part time work (is this a change from when you've looked previously?). Part time jobs are often in demand. A company near me advertised a part time admin role that would fit in with school hours and got 200 applicants!

Greywillow12 Thu 08-Aug-19 11:20:10

Suppose it could be the gap and couldn't really change it as had to give up old job because my partner got a better job in a new area. And we had a baby do would of gone back to original role after maternity leave. But I've heard that employers can be put of if you state you have children.

I can only do part time due to DC. But yes part time will be in high demand.

It really starts to knock your confidence after a while. Every time I get that email saying unsuccessful just makes me feel like shit. I really need to be back in work.

SmartPlay Thu 08-Aug-19 11:36:30

I had a similar experience - I was unemployed for a while and it took me around 9 months to find something new. I was invited to, I think, 3 interviews in total. At one of them I got asked if I had kids, which employers usually only ask if this rules you out. So I started to put my child into my CV, thinking if they don't want a mother anyway, I don't need to waste my time going there for interviews.

The good thing about this was: After my third interview I got the job and it was great (or is, but I'm on maternity leave now)! The job itself is nothing special, but my colleagues are so lovely, the working environment is great, I feel valued and appreciated even when doing pretty dumb tasks - all of which makes me feel reall well there.

I know it's frustrating, but hopefully you'll be as lucky as I was and the forced wait will be worth it!

jent85 Thu 08-Aug-19 11:40:06

I'm exactly the same and sympathise

I had quite a high powered full time job in property for 15+ years, have many qualifications and experience etc etc

Had my daughter and now looking for part time work and nada. Not wanting to sound big headed but my last 2 jobs, I was headhunted but now...? Can't even get an interview. It's SO disheartening and for the first time ever I've had to sign on for job seekers 🙁

I've got a meeting with someone at the job centre to go over my CV next week which I hope will help, tailor my CV to each job description and am v clear in my covering letter that I have stable childcare In place etc etc

I guess it's a case of plodding on but yeah, I completely feel your pain - it's soul destroying. Fingers crossed for both of us soon xxx

PixieLumos Thu 08-Aug-19 12:38:06

Suppose it could be the gap and couldn't really change it as had to give up old job because my partner got a better job in a new area. And we had a baby do would of gone back to original role after maternity leave. But I've heard that employers can be put of if you state you have children.

That’s a perfectly acceptable reason to have a break from work - you relocated and chose to be a SAHM for a little longer - put it on your CV. Unexplained gaps are much more likely to put anyone off that this.
I’m starting a new job soon after being a SAHM for a year and a half - I explained that I was a SAHM in my covering letter (and therefor very ‘eager and enthusiastic about going back to work’ as I put it smile)

VictoriaBun Thu 08-Aug-19 12:46:15

I'm the same except I haven't worked for 10 years.
Was a sahm , then did a fair bit of voluntary work, and then cared for an elderly relative . Circumstances have changed and I now need to work . I live in a rural area and on Indeed or Find a job website listed 39 jobs last week. Sadly many of them are positions that want previous experience or a few were live in , and then jobs like fork lift operators or plasterers.

motorcyclenumptiness Sat 10-Aug-19 08:34:29

I hear you, op. I left my job of 20 years (responsible, well paid, used my degrees) 3 years ago to look after DM. I was expecting to be out of the job market for a few months but I'm still looking. I have a master's and 20+ years' work experience and I've just been turned down for a supermarket shelf-replenishing role. I did some temp agency work, got glowing feedback but didn't get a permanent post. There seems to be a huge disconnect between the recruitment process and the job itself. Getting rejected all the time is soul destroying.

growlingbear Sat 10-Aug-19 08:39:06

Don't mention the gap. Take dates off your CV.

Say that you have strong experience in retail and having relocated recently due to your partner's job, you are now looking for PT work in this field. You offer excellent customer service skills having (give experience/training in previous job) and particularly enjoy (say something you know they want - stock control, dealing with customer complaints, whatever.)

On your CV focus on skills you've acquired and impact you made. (Sales boosts due to promotions/leading or contributing to a team etc.)

Rainbowhairdontcare Sat 10-Aug-19 08:40:23

It was the same for me... I got my current job by emailing the company and it worked a treat smile

SmallAndFarAway Sat 10-Aug-19 08:41:21

Askamanager.org is a really good blog for getting advice on how to improve your CV, including how to describe gaps (and yes, you do need to add one line explaining it or it'll put people off) - it's American but I find it excellent.

If you're not getting interviews it's definitely worth overhauling your CV, good luck!

SmallAndFarAway Sat 10-Aug-19 08:42:24

And don't take dates off your CV! I've hired people and that's the first thing we ask about if you get to an interview- employers aren't stupid...

Fatted Sat 10-Aug-19 08:51:55

You're probably being overlooked for reasons you can't really control.

The gap will speak volumes and they will likely assume its because you have a child. They will then likely assume this makes you less flexible. Although they are advertising part time hours, they probably want someone to work full time hours on a part-time wage when suits them. If you have previously worked in better paid or more responsible positions they will also probably think you are over qualified and will bugger off and leave them at the slightest wiff of something better coming along.

I don't really know what you can put in your cv to cover that sorry.

Greywillow12 Sat 10-Aug-19 19:41:44

Thanks for all the helpful replies..and sorry to those in the same positions. I have been having thoughts about what my next steps are and I am thinking of returning to collage part time for a career change. I would like to be self employed and this seems like a good way to start.

jent85 Wed 14-Aug-19 18:33:20

@Greywillow12 just an idea - I had a meeting with a chap from Futures on Monday (via the job centre) and we went over my CV in detail for an hour. Between us we have almost completely re-written it. He also gave me drafts and examples of Cover Letters and ALSO told me to check out National Career Service website which gives pointers on how best to sell yourself depending on sector/genre of work.

I've applied for 4 jobs since and have 3 interviews lined up. Hope this is helpful xx

1Littleweed Thu 15-Aug-19 21:38:23

My DD was offered lots of interviews and was offered positions. With my cynical hat on, I would suggest that they frequently offer posts to young applicants, who will take the shit shifts at minimum wage, and not rock the boat by being assertive.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »