Talk

Advanced search

Quick poll : those of you who are either self employed or working from home, what do you do?

(64 Posts)
Pitchounette Wed 01-Aug-07 21:07:34

Message withdrawn

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Thu 02-Aug-07 00:28:58

Director of IT company. We write big software applications. I don't do very much these days, tbh, other than give my opinions!

Pitchounette Thu 02-Aug-07 08:37:43

Message withdrawn

FrannyandZooey Thu 02-Aug-07 08:39:08

I run children's activity groups, and also take bookings to provide entertainment or play sessions at parties / for Sure Start etc

Pitchounette Thu 02-Aug-07 08:43:10

Message withdrawn

pointydog Thu 02-Aug-07 08:45:16

My friend is a proofreader for publishing companies, non-fiction and reference books, often dictionairies and medical books.

PinkChick Thu 02-Aug-07 08:47:28

childminder and some one else has a home ironing business

lucykate Thu 02-Aug-07 08:49:47

freelance craft designer, same job i did for a large company before i left in may last year. i work while ds naps, have one day with him in nursery, plus evenings. all gone to pot during the holidays as dd is at home too.

Pitchounette Thu 02-Aug-07 14:16:32

Message withdrawn

RubySlippers Thu 02-Aug-07 14:17:37

fundraiser
work from home 2 - 3 days per week and the rest of the time from an office
a lot of my work is research and writing so i can do that anywhere

lalaa Thu 02-Aug-07 14:19:01

marketing project manager - nature of the work means that it's erratic and can be full on or nothing at all so not ideal, but we manage

specialk1215 Thu 02-Aug-07 22:54:56

I am on my second mat leave and just resigned to start as a self-employed marketing project manager/ business strategist. Objective is to work about 3 days/week, possibly 2 from home and one from an office. I have two contracts lined up to start. We'll see how it goes. I feel excited and terrified at the same time!

Pitchounette Fri 03-Aug-07 08:04:53

Message withdrawn

BecauseImWorthIt Fri 03-Aug-07 08:07:35

Qualitative market research. I have a business partner and we also have a pt PA/finance manager. We all work from home. Used to have an office but couldn't see the point of paying for the overheads - works just as well (professionally) as we still use the office address for mail, and they still take our calls for us. Personally it is much nicer/more fulfilling to be at home.

geekgirl Fri 03-Aug-07 08:07:45

I'm a translator (do German into English, legal documents mainly). I don't really like the unpredictability of freelance work, but the pros outweigh the cons at present.

RubySlippers Fri 03-Aug-07 08:09:22

well i was doing voluntary work a few years ago for a social care organisation, and their fundraiser was leaving so they invited me to apply for the post. I had no experience in that field but lots of transferable skills
My job involves running committee meetings, orgasnising a variety of events, researching charitable trusts
If you are interested, then The Guardian (wednesday edition) has lots of FR jobs
also check out thirdsector.com

Pitchounette Sat 04-Aug-07 11:06:16

Message withdrawn

paolosgirl Sat 04-Aug-07 11:15:20

I edit part of an NHS website from home, as well as working for the NHS.

A friend of mine has just started an ironing service business. Other things you could do (depending on how much money you need to make) is sell stuff on eBay, cleaning business, childminding business, pet sitting/walking service, childrens craft classes/parties....

zippit Sat 04-Aug-07 11:19:46

a serial dabbler and con artist have to work from home because no one else would employ me..i have a website which enables me to get some pocket money and buy computers cameras etc without paying vat and also means i have a profile for borrowing/mortgage so i can do house development on the side

no money though

zippit Sat 04-Aug-07 11:21:32

oh and I was an interior designer for a while (that did make some money)

and have been an english tutor for kids

Gobbledigook Sat 04-Aug-07 11:44:02

I am a freelance medical and pharmaceutical researcher

zaphod Sat 04-Aug-07 11:51:17

I'm a clown for children's parties.

flowerybeanbag Sat 04-Aug-07 19:27:28

I'm have my own company and work as an HR consultant, doing project work or being on a retainer giving advice to different companies. I also do a bit of mentoring/coaching with individuals.

Pitchounette Sun 05-Aug-07 16:41:03

Message withdrawn

SixKindsOfCrisis Sun 05-Aug-07 16:42:25

Academic book editor. And I write copy for a website.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now