Talk

Advanced search

Homeworking Audio typing

(3 Posts)
mrspandy Fri 02-Aug-19 11:25:35

Hi guys! Newbie here! Am looking to return to work after 10 years 24/7 caring for my mum. Am looking to go Self Employed as an Audio/Copy Typist, and need to purchase software/hardware. Its been that long since I’ve done anything like this (and my brains full of ‘caring’ info and medical ailments) that I don’t really know where to start. I’ve had a look at several types of dictation software and hardware (pedals and headphones) and wondered if anyone out there is currently undertaking this type of work and what products you use? Many thanks, Jean x

OP’s posts: |
HennyPennyHorror Fri 02-Aug-19 14:04:11

Have you got some clients ready and waiting? Because if not, I wouldn't purchase anything.

There are multiple HUGE transcription companies out there such as Rev which pay peanuts to their workers and so grab all the work.

Their workers are fine to work for terribly low prices....so unless you're certain you have work coming in, I wouldn't buy anything.

AnnieOH1 Fri 02-Aug-19 14:17:38

You can easily buy a pedal for around £70 from Amazon, and there is decent transcription software available for around £30 if you're using it commercially or free if not that works from the pedal or the function keys.

I set up my own business 7 years ago but a) you need a niche (such as legal); b) sales ability; c) attention to detail; d) no fear in pursuing invoices; and e) speedy accurate typing.

E is probably the most important, if you can't get to 75wpm minimum this is not work for you. My slowest employee works at 101 wpm currently.

PM me if you'd like to have a further chat to explore the possibilities. HennyPennyHorror is correct in saying there are terrible companies out there paying peanuts but that's not where the money is, at all.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in