Talk

Advanced search

Phased return to work.. who decides?

(6 Posts)
navteexo Fri 02-Aug-19 10:22:18

Ive been unwell and been off sick for about 3 weeks now. The GP suggested I speak to my employer in regards to reduced hours.
I spoke to my manager requesting this temporarily however he said it needs to be in writing from my GP. I called my GP, and explained this - she told me that she would do it for me this once, but really its something the employer should discuss with me.

Im confused because if this was the case, then why would there be a box on the fit note/sick note which says 'altered hours' etc if its not down to the gp..

I know its only a recommendation and the employer does not need to agree, but i wanted to know where i stand..whos decision is it? Because my employer is saying its got to come from the doctor, the doctor is saying its up to me to ask my employer

Thanks in advance

OP’s posts: |
Isleepinahedgefund Fri 02-Aug-19 17:08:37

My employer would do a phased return for a long absence, three weeks wouldn't be considered long, especially as the standard phased return is over four weeks.

When I did phased return I had been off for four months and was offered by my employer is as per our sickness policy - I did not have fit note for that period.

If your GP ticks the is fit for work but with these conditions, it means that if the employer can't meet/agree the conditions then you are not fit for work in their opinion. Maybe your GP doesn't think you are unfit for work.

Loopytiles Fri 02-Aug-19 17:11:39

The GP can give an opinion and information on the form but agreeing on working hours etc is the employer and your responsibility - GPs don’t provide free occupational health services.

kimlo Fri 02-Aug-19 17:13:32

my dr gave me a fit note saying altered hours, the hours were worked out between me and my boss.

wouldyouadamandeveit Fri 02-Aug-19 17:18:29

The Dr can write it on your sick note/fit note, mine certainly did.

navteexo Fri 02-Aug-19 21:41:20

Thank you for your replies everyone!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in