Talk

Advanced search

Advice please re. training for new career whilst on ESA

(10 Posts)
Batsypatsy Sun 21-Jul-19 18:07:20

I've been off work ill for a few years but would like to get back into work. I'm receiving ESA and I'm a single mother. I previously worked in admin but would like to do something more ... fulfilling (nothing against admin).

I don't have many qualifications and am in my fifties, but obviously still have many years of working ahead of me.

Financially I can't pay for courses. I don't even know what I want to do really. I have phobias that would make dealing with illness and children very difficult.

Sorry this all sounds vague. I've looked online but am struggling to find out what help would be available financially if I took a course or how to find careers advice. I contacted a local organisation, but they advised I visit the job centre, but ime they don't really help with careers advice.

OP’s posts: |
Batsypatsy Sun 21-Jul-19 18:11:23

I've worked for estate agents in the past and enjoyed it but never had any training. The local estate agents seem to employ only uni leavers now, all very young, so I doubt I'd have a chance.

ChillySillyBillySausage Wed 24-Jul-19 19:20:02

What's your highest level of qualifications? GCSE/O Level passes are level 2 and A Level is level 3. If you haven't got those, it could well be possible your local council can provide you with free or reduced fee courses. Search your local authority name (I.e. who you pay your council tax to) and adult education, and it will come up with what's available in your area and a contact number to discuss what would be suitable for you. Good luck smile

Batsypatsy Thu 25-Jul-19 15:09:32

I have 3 O levels and some typing and shorthand training to high level. I looked but couldn't find free gcse courses.

LIZS Thu 25-Jul-19 15:16:02

Maths and English gcse will be free via local further eductIon college or adult ed provider - council website will have details. Are you in the Support Group for esa, could you volunteer to try out some thing you may enjoy?

Batsypatsy Thu 25-Jul-19 21:32:54

I have English but missed Maths by a grade.

Yes I'm in the support group.

ivykaty44 Thu 25-Jul-19 21:35:28

Plenty of work online for homeworking secretarial type work

Batsypatsy Fri 26-Jul-19 00:06:35

There is, but it seems so much isn't legitimate or pays so poorly that I couldn't support myself. Can you suggest a good website to look on? Thanks.

ivykaty44 Fri 26-Jul-19 06:50:58

Monzo bank we’re looking for homeworkers 3x nights per week paying about £11/12 per hour

Batsypatsy Fri 26-Jul-19 11:00:20

Thanks, I'll have a look smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in