Talk

Advanced search

Help me gain qualifications

(27 Posts)
manchestermom5 Sat 20-Jul-19 12:17:29

Hello everyone
I am in my mid 30s no GCSEs , I got an E grade in my AS levels. I desperately have to get back to work but absolutely no idea where to start! I am very interested in teaching, can someone please guide me.
TIA

NoBaggyPants Sat 20-Jul-19 12:22:08

Can I ask why you don't have GCSEs but went on to do (one?) AS Level? What have you done up to now? Do you think you're capable of university level study but there have been extenuating circumstances in the past that have hindered your performance?

Auntpetunia2015 Sat 20-Jul-19 12:25:54

I would suggest getting some GCSES and/or speaking to a local college/uni about an access to university course.

IgnoranceIsStrength Sat 20-Jul-19 12:35:52

Resit maths and english gcses first part time for year. Ideally science as well if possible. Then look into access courses

manchestermom5 Sat 20-Jul-19 12:45:06

Thank you for the replies, I was thinking of doing my GCSEs, is my AS level a complete waste?

manchestermom5 Sat 20-Jul-19 13:01:52

Is there any other way I could gain any qualifications without doing my GCSEs? The thought of doing GCSEs at the mid-30s feels daunting! Any online courses anyone can suggest?

IgnoranceIsStrength Sat 20-Jul-19 20:29:35

The problem is the entry requirements for most higher courses will require GCSEs first. A lot of FE colleges have adult provision for GCSEs usually in the evenings so you wouldn't be with a load of kids. If that helps!

manchestermom5 Sun 21-Jul-19 05:10:24

Is an open university degree worth it? I looked up for certHE if I am not wrong they don't need GCSEs.

avalanching Sun 21-Jul-19 08:44:21

If you want to do teaching I'm pretty certain you need GCSEs, my friend had to resit science and maths to get her grades above a C to do her PGCE equivalent. I believe you need English, maths and science? With all due respect if you want to teach it would probably be beneficial all round to do GCSEs in the core subjects?

LIZS Sun 21-Jul-19 08:50:11

No idea how you took AS without gcses. Unfortunately on its own it is pretty meaningless. You could take an Access course with gcses in English and Maths alongside or before.

BadnessInTheFolds Sun 21-Jul-19 08:56:34

You will definitely need GCSEs in English and maths for secondary teaching and English, maths and science for primary: getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/eligibility-for-teacher-training
This has been the case for years and is unlikely to change.

As pp said you could do an adult evening
GCSE course which is likely to be full of people like you (often people who want to go into teaching or nursing!).

You could start the OU course first if that feels less daunting and do the GCSEs later before teacher training.

If you are not completely set on teaching then the HECert might open other options or get you back in the swing of studying, hard to say without knowing what it is.

Have you contacted schools to ask if you can volunteer to get some experience? It might be useful for you and if you can commit to a weekly slot then they may be pleased to have someone reliable.

You say you desperately need to get back into work, are you working at the moment? Teaching will require you to have a degree so at least three years of study (potentially more if you are studying part time or choose a pgce route). So you might need a dual purpose plan, teaching in the long term and something else while you get your qualification.

The 'get into teaching' site that I linked had a helpline and webchat service, if that's useful.

I think your AS Level is unlikely to count towards other qualifications, sadly.

BadnessInTheFolds Sun 21-Jul-19 08:57:47

I meant to add, it's definitely possible and people have done it before you!

Stuckforthefourthtime Sun 21-Jul-19 09:03:07

Teaching is going to be a really long path, if you desperately have to get back to work.
Are there other areas you would consider?

Psychologika Sun 21-Jul-19 09:46:16

How did you do A Levels without GCSEs? I think the college did you a disservice

sashh Sun 21-Jul-19 10:04:33

Have a look at access courses, they usually incorporate GCSE English and maths these days because you need them for both teaching and nursing and that's what a lot of people use their access course for.

Yes you can do an OU degree without GCSEs but if you are going into teaching you will need them.

manchestermom5 Sun 21-Jul-19 16:55:26

Thank you, everyone, is there any other field I could get into? Please help me, and forgive my daftness.

manchestermom5 Sun 21-Jul-19 16:58:43

I am also looking into bookkeeping but don't know where and how to start.

Psychologika Sun 21-Jul-19 17:02:50

I really think you should look at getting English and Maths GCSEs or equivalent

LIZS Sun 21-Jul-19 17:33:30

You could do bookkeeping courses or even accounting at your local fe college , but you would still need gcses in maths and english or Functional Skills level 2 to get the relevant qualification. Some employers might take you on as an apprentice while you study.

manchestermom5 Sun 21-Jul-19 17:39:32

Have decided to take GCSE English and Maths.

manchestermom5 Sun 21-Jul-19 17:40:50

Please, someone, guide me on what I should be doing after.

LIZS Sun 21-Jul-19 17:44:15

Do you need to decide now? There should be Information and Guidance available at a college to help you talk through options and employability. What have you been doing since school and what interests you?

LIZS Sun 21-Jul-19 17:48:33

https://www.cityandguilds.com/qualifications-and-apprenticeships/business-skills/finance-and-accounting/8991-bookkeeping-and-accounting#tab=information&acc=level2

Gives you an idea of the structure of the City and Guilds Bookkeeping qualification, as an example.

SomeInternetUser Sun 21-Jul-19 17:50:00

Before going to work (after time spent as a sahm/wfhm) I did an ICTQ course at adult education centre. It was free because I wasn’t in work and didn’t take into account my husbands salary. I was already educated to post grad level but that also didn’t matter. They realise there can be a skills gap due to caring responsibilities. Along with this they offered functional skills courses in Maths and English. I didn’t need those so can’t comment but I was impressed with the ICT offer. I guess it may be postcode dependent. I also think you will need science to GCSE level for primary. Functional skills might give your confidence a boost to start with.

BillyJowel Sun 21-Jul-19 17:56:24

These aren’t decisions you can make in 40 minutes. Speak to your local college careers adviser. Do your research.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »