Talk

Advanced search

What do you do for childcare once they start school?

(7 Posts)
beautifulgirls Sun 29-Jul-07 21:29:44

Hi all

DH and I are just debating for in the future when our two DD start full time at school - a couple of years off yet before they are both there. Currently I work 2 days a week but long hours so they attend nursery and DH picks them up after work. I would like to increase my days once they start school, but the hours will not be possible to change given the nature of my work so we have the whole drop off to school/pick up nightmare as DH will not be able to be that flexible either, plus what to do in the holidays. What sort of costs are childminders going to be (SE London suberb) and are there any other options you could suggest. I know school are being pushed into after school clubs more now but does anyone know if that applies to independant schools?? (as hopefully the extra working will allow us that choice) What about school holiday clubs??
Thanks

CGOmum Sun 29-Jul-07 23:41:09

Get a child minder who collects from your chosen school. Most child minders do drop off and pick up and you'll only have to pay for the time the children are with them. During holidays your payments will jump through unless you take leave. Just sorted my child care as dd1 starts school this sept and I need to increase work hours from 2 days to 5.

BBBee Sun 29-Jul-07 23:44:56

make after school club a priority.

IsabelWatchingItRainInMacondo Sun 29-Jul-07 23:58:31

As far as I'm aware, independant schools are even more likely to provide wrap around care.

thelittleElf Sun 29-Jul-07 23:59:02

Would a nanny/housekeeper be an option?

Nooster Mon 30-Jul-07 16:28:23

Try an out of school club - usually ran by a private nursery local to the school. Or the school itself. Mine will cost £10.00, will pick him up from school, feed him tea and keep him until 6pm

For school hols out of school cubs exist at private nurseries too. 8-6pm usually. About £20.00 per day.

beautifulgirls Mon 30-Jul-07 21:40:12

I'll definately look into the after school clubs. I think the new nursery the girls will be starting soon actually has one, but I assumed it was just for the primary school next door. I'll ask there. I'll also look into childminders more too. Would anyone know do they generally have to have regular days with their mindees, or would many have the flexibility to do certain set days and other variable days week to week?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now