Talk

Advanced search

Part time working: 3 days over 4 or 3 full days?

(6 Posts)
mummTum Sun 14-Jul-19 22:38:20

I currently work 3 full days. Have 2 kids (2 and 5) and do drop off and pick up for both. We get in a about 6:15 and the evenings are generally a bit frazzling! On my days off I have my 2 year old all day and my 5 year old goes to school until lunch time on one day and 3pm on another day (we live abroad).

I am thinking of changing my hours after the summer holiday to work 2 full days and 2 half days with one of the half days from home. I feel this will be beneficial as it will mean less end of day rushing and more relaxed time with the kids. I will still get some one on one time with my younger dc when my daughter is at school and be able to do three out of 5 pick ups instead of 2.

Just a bit worried though that in the end I’ll have even less time and the half days will just disappear into work and pick ups whereas now we do manage to do something during the afternoons.

I will add that I often end up doing an hour or so of work on my days off so I’m also hoping that a less condensed week will make this easier.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! Really not sure if it’s the right choice.

Thanks smile

OP’s posts: |
mummTum Mon 15-Jul-19 08:00:32

Bump for Monday morning traffic smile

Redken24 Mon 15-Jul-19 08:03:23

I'm kind of in the same boat as you apart from my kids are younger, I'm trying to figure out what gives us the best work life balance! If I was you I probably couldn't work from home. What time do you start on your 3 days?

mummTum Mon 15-Jul-19 08:57:53

Yes exactly, really wondering what’s best for the balance!
My son would be be nursery when I’m working from home but I’d need to do a shorter day to pick my daughter up at lunch time so it would help being at home.
I start at about 9am but also thinking of doing breakfast club on one day to get in a bit earlier.

mummTum Wed 17-Jul-19 06:52:03

Anyone else? Still can’t decide!

pennypineapple Wed 17-Jul-19 06:58:09

I'm thinking of trying this work pattern soon if I can get approval. My theory is that as well as hopefully meaning evenings are less fraught, it might actually make the office less stressful as I will only be "out" one day a week. Leaving at lunchtime when you'll be back in the following day seems like less of a big deal than leaving on Wednesday after three full days and knowing you won't be back in again until after the weekend.

To be honest though I think all working patterns have their pros and cons, I've tried a few over the years and never found the perfect one yet!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in