Talk

Advanced search

Should I declare depression/personality disorder as a disability?

(6 Posts)
Thump Wed 03-Jul-19 14:31:46

When I'm filling out most forms, where the question is 'Do you consider yourself to have a disability?' I answer yes. I suffer from depression and am diagnosed with EUPD.

In work terms, should I declare this or not when the question is asked?

If you work in HR, have you ever seen people declare it on applications? And if so, have you actively avoided hiring them?

I don't know whether it's something that is protected or not in terms of discrimination. If a future employer is going to discriminate on the basis of my mental health history, I am not going to open myself to that so will lie.

OP’s posts: |
Thump Wed 03-Jul-19 14:33:53

Also not sure whether mental health issues count as a 'disability'.

I would be applying in the private sector - so possibly not as transparent/able to cover up discrimination a lot more easily.

And another question - if a person has been out of work for a year due to mental illness, would you consider hiring them?

Crass12 Wed 03-Jul-19 14:44:39

I have EUPD and it is classed as a disability. Prospective employers can’t penalise you for having a mental health issue no more than if you had a physical disability.
To be honest I wouldn’t tell any potential employers that I specifically have a personality disorder. Just leave it at mental health.
Once you have the job then disclose.
Good luck with your job searching

Thump Wed 03-Jul-19 14:54:59

Ye - I'm sure they'll all be rushing to hire me.....

Crass12 Wed 03-Jul-19 19:05:45

Awww, honestly, you are more than your disability.
My work colleagues know I have a personality disorder and are so supportive.
You will find a job that suits you eventually 💐

NoBaggyPants Wed 03-Jul-19 19:11:52

Depression and EUPD may be classed as disabilities, depending on how they affect you on a day to day basis. Most forms ask if you consider yourself to have a disability (only a court can categorically state if you do meet the definition), so if you want to you are fine to state that you do.

Many people with mental health illness do not declare their conditions until they have a job offer, as sadly discrimination is common but difficult to prove. I am in the minority and do declare my conditions, on the basis that I don't want to work for a company that is going to treat me badly, as that in turn will make me ill again.

If you've been away from work for a while, have you thought about volunteering?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in