Talk

Advanced search

Oh HOW long will it be until i get used to this...i am SO tired.

(8 Posts)
nightowl Wed 25-Jul-07 20:01:49

Ive gone from part time to full time in the last month or so and i am so tired its just not funny.

crappola. now its being at work most of the day, coming home, doing housework, getting kids to bed, bath, have tea, lunch for the next day.

house is cleaner, maybe because no dd here in the daytime, maybe because im forcing myself to keep on top of it. the money is nice, i cant grumble although i didnt want to go full time, had no choice.

i need some instant energy right now because i have no work clothes for tomorrow amongst other things, have been shopping and have lots to do but no energy to do it.

to think i used to have trouble sleeping!

energy boosting ideas anyone?

lilolilmanchester Wed 25-Jul-07 21:11:59

Don't expect to do everything. Housework will wait. And find some time every day for you, whether it's telly, reading or a long bath. Superwoman doesn't exist, yet many of us run ourselves ragged trying to be her! And if you are earning more money, think about getting a cleaner/ironing lady etc. (I work part-time and have no paid help, but would be the first thing i did if I went full-time)

MarshaBrady Wed 25-Jul-07 21:20:45

Agree with lilom, can you pay for some help? A cleaner.

rookiemum Wed 25-Jul-07 22:04:01

Don't ever go near a supermarket again, online shopping is the only way to go, and if you can get one of the promotional codes to work then you don't even have to pay for delivery.

If you are F/T what time do you leave and get home. If its nine to five any chance of reducing your lunch hour to 30mins and doing 9.15 to 4.45 so you are not travelling in peak rush hour.

I work 4 days a week and we have cleaner who does ironing ( although not v well according to my grumbly DH, I gave up buying anything that needed ironed years ago), a gardener to mow lawn and a window cleaner.

Do you think its because you had no choice that you are finding it so hard ?

balancingact Thu 26-Jul-07 09:12:30

this may come as a suggestion from left field as nothing to do with coping with work/life balance but if you cut out caffeine, processed sugar and wheat, you do get lots of energy back (after 3 days of headaches, but i did used to drink a lot of caffeine). Also lets you sleep better a lot. I have also tried reducing my dairy intake a lot.
I am not a health nut at all -- just thought i have to try other things as balancing demands of a FT job and home do take their toll.

rookiemum Thu 26-Jul-07 09:18:17

Actually balancingact that makes me think of something else. I was really tired when I first went back to work and assumed it was due to having to do so much, but my Mum suggested that I start taking multivatims which I alternate with spatone iron supplement and I find that has helped my energy levels.

PavlovtheCat Thu 26-Jul-07 09:20:26

balancingact - I agree. Caffiene and heavy amounts of wheat can make you feel more sluggish. My DP and I followed the GI diet before I became pregnant, him for weight reasons, me to encourage him and see if it helped my energy levels.
I was amazed at how quickly I got more energy. I used to think it was just my job, and whilst my tiredness was largely attributed to this, my diet gave me so much more energy to cope with it, and have energy in the evening.

With children, it will not make you feel like superwoman, but an alteration in your diet will certainly give you more of an energy burst.

Try for breakfast - porridge soaked overnight in milk, in the morning, add fruit/plain yoghurt and some fresh fruit. Does not need cooking. Quick, simple, filling, leaves little mess and is great for energy. 1 pint of water. Sets you up for the day. Great for the kids too.

lisad123 Thu 26-Jul-07 09:29:53

Tips that work for me are,
shop online, i never elave the house to do household chores during the week.
Do a big tidy on sunday ready for new week, and then just do basic's around the house monday-friday.
deside what to have for dinner the next before, get meat or anything else out of freezer ready, and dont change your mind, it takes longer to cook.
Do clothes and packed lunches once kids are in bed, and then sit with cup of tea and watch tv, read, or ring a friend.
Oh and have a shower instead of bath, it doesnt take as long

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now