Talk

Advanced search

Change of career-Nursery Manager

(9 Posts)
helloyou123 Fri 21-Jun-19 20:47:33

Hey,

I have worked in the private sector of the childcare industry for the last 5 years and been a Nursery Manager for the last 10 years. I have always loved my job and been very good at it. I have only ever achieved Outstanding outcomes in Ofsted inspections. I have achieved this because I have put a lot of bloody hard work in. Thing that is I'm on maternity leave, 6 months in with my first child and worried about going back. I feel like I wouldn't be as committed as I was previously and definitely wouldn't be able to do the overtime I previously did with a baby. I know my standard will always be good but if it's not my best is that fair on the children.

So I'm due back I'm January and was just wondering if there is any previous nursery managers on here that went on to do something else but had less responsibility and similar money? Or anyone that have ideas on what kind of job I can transfer into? I would need to be earning a min of £30,000.

Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
Leapoffaith00 Sat 22-Jun-19 08:05:50

helloyou123 - hello
I might be completely off but what about a nvq assessor? My daughter works in a nursery and someone comes out to assess her as part of the qualification.

IVEgottheDECAF Sat 22-Jun-19 08:07:51

What qualifications do you have?

helloyou123 Sat 22-Jun-19 09:18:16

@leapoffaith00 Thank you. I did look into being a tutor previously but the pay isn't the best. You're looking at no more than £25,000. Which is a shame because the flexibility is there.

helloyou123 Sat 22-Jun-19 09:19:33

@IVEgottheDECAF My highest qualifications is Level 5 in Childcare, Health & Social care and Management.

Thank you

IVEgottheDECAF Sat 22-Jun-19 09:23:42

Tbh i think you will struggle to get that kind of money

insancerre Sat 22-Jun-19 09:23:43

It’s not about the money
I was a nursery manager and took a step down to deputy manager working with the children
It was the best thing ever, I really enjoy my job again and feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. Being a manager is so stressful
I do earn slightly less than before but to be honest, I don’t really notice the difference
I know lots of people that have been managers that have stepped down and they all seem happier for it.

IVEgottheDECAF Sat 22-Jun-19 09:26:00

I was a deputy. I stepped down to just being a room based practitioner, dropped many hours. Much happier. Planning a very part time return following birth of dc5 until he is atleast school nursery age by which point i will have completed my degree

helloyou123 Sat 22-Jun-19 09:28:41

@insancerre

Thank you

Unfortunately for me it is about the money..due to the mortgage and the need for another bedroom.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in