Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

How do you become an environmental health officer?

(11 Posts)
Katymac Mon 23-Jul-07 13:34:25

It's not for me it's for my friend......

Go On I said MN would know

Katymac Mon 23-Jul-07 13:55:00


LeafTurner Mon 23-Jul-07 14:06:44

Not exactly sure if there is one specific route ! I know two. One did an env helath degree with specific aim of becoming EHO, the other did an HND in Biology and got in and was trained on job as it were.

Have you googled ? I'm sure it will be online somewhere ?

LeafTurner Mon 23-Jul-07 14:08:23

I googled and found this ;

An honours degree (BSc) or postgraduate qualification (MSc) in environmental health, accredited by the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) in England, Wales and Northern Ireland or the Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland (REHIS), is essential. Accredited courses are available in full-time, part-time and integrated/sandwich formats.

Graduates from relevant science/technology-based HNC, HND or foundation degree programmes may be able to enter directly onto the second year of a BSc course. An alternative route for HND Diplomates or foundation degree graduates is to enter employment at technician level and study on a part-time BSc accredited course.

A postgraduate qualification is only required if the first degree is not in environmental health. MSc courses are offered at the University of the West of England (Bristol), the University of Birmingham and the University of Strathclyde. (At the time of writing, January 2006, an MSc course at the University of Derby is awaiting validation.) Potential entrants are usually expected to hold a second class honours degree in a science-based discipline or qualifications/experience that is considered to be equivalent.

It is advisable to try to gain some pre-entry work experience as this will provide an invaluable insight into the profession and enhance the likelihood of success in securing training placement opportunities with local authorities.

Potential candidates will also need to show evidence of the following:

excellent written and oral communication skills;
decision-making skills;
sound numerate and IT skills;
tact, diplomacy and sensitivity to other people's views;
the ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
A full UK driving licence is required for most positions.

Apply early for course places as institutions may be able to offer assistance to applicants who are seeking training placements (in some cases, a pre-requisite to obtaining a place on a course). It may be easier to get a placement if you are already known to the local authority through previous work experience. Therefore, where relevant, apply to your home local authority first. In addition to local authorities, training placements are also offered by a wide range of other organisations, including private sector companies, central government departments and The National Health Service (NHS).

Students may be able to obtain sponsorship from the local authority with whom they have a training placement. In recent years, due to limited budgets and an increase in environmental health officers (EHOs) employed by local authorities, there have been fewer sponsored placements. However, the number of people entering the profession is declining so sponsorship opportunities may increase. At present, the majority of students on accredited courses fund themselves.

From 1 October 2006 it will be illegal to discriminate against candidates on age grounds but, in practice, age may continue to be used in selection criteria by some employers. For more information on equality and diversity in the job market and how to handle discrimination, see the AGCAS information booklet, A Level Playing Field.

You may be interested in further information about work experience and further study.

Katymac Mon 23-Jul-07 14:15:20

When I goggle the courses keep getting mixed up with environment/eco stuff

That is useful tho'

Katymac Mon 23-Jul-07 18:47:11

Does anyone know of a course in East Anglia or an OU course

My friend has an arts degree so I don't know if she'd need another degree or a post grad??

Skribble Mon 23-Jul-07 23:37:56

Chartered institute

SueW Mon 23-Jul-07 23:50:49

She could contact the local council and ask about how she could do it. They might be able to help her with on-the-job training or sponsorship through courses, maybe?

Isn't there a national shortage of EHOs?

Katymac Tue 24-Jul-07 21:55:14

Thanks - I'll pass on the info

Jbck Tue 24-Jul-07 22:49:57

KatyM s it because you're goggling

Katymac Tue 24-Jul-07 22:51:48

Nah it's on bookmarks - I don't have to type it in

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: