Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

childcare for 10 and 12 year old?

(9 Posts)
AMAZINWOMAN Sun 22-Jul-07 13:50:19

my 10 year old HATES the after school club with a passion. Besides my 12 year old is too old for it anyway. what do i do for childcare?

I am looking for a new job-(at the moment I pick them up)

nannynick Sun 22-Jul-07 15:49:49

They are at a tricky age. Back when I was that age, I recall walking home from school and having a key to the house, so I could let myself in. Would then be on my own for a little bit, then my older sisiter (18 months older) would get back from school, and around 1.5 hours after I got home, my mum would get home from work. This was back in the 80's, attitudes to children being left home-alone have changed over the years, so not sure this sort of thing would be accepted these days.

After-School clubs are usually the soluition, but as your 10 year old hates it, you are now stuck. Are there any after-school activities your 10 year old could do? I remember that twice a week at school, after school hours, I did orchestra - and one evening a week I walked to a local leisure centre and did a roller skating course. I was 11 or 12 at the time, as I remember walking from senior school.

A childminder may be able to provide childcare - but at 10 and 12 your children may not want to be around younger children. Could be worth asking around to see if any childminder can help.

Your children's friends parents are another option. Can your children go to someone's house to 'play' after school? Could work for short periods.

Anyone else got any ideas?

MrsMuddle Sun 22-Jul-07 16:44:11

I have an 11 year old and a 12 year old. Until school broke up, I shared the care with another mum - she took mine for 2 days after school and I took hers for 2 days. My older DS is going to secondary after the summer, and no longer wants to go to my friend's house. I'm quite happy for him to walk home from school and let himself in. He'll be home at about 4, and I'll be home at 6. He's sensible, and he'd know what to do in an emergency. He'll also probably get involved in after-school activities (hopefully!) so might not even be back till later. His younger brother will be in primary 7, and while I'd happily leave him at home after school, I wouldn't be happy leaving them both together, so I'm going to speak to his best friend's mum and see if she'll take him for the 2 days I work. It's very difficult when they're too old for after-school care, but still, I think, too young to be left every day. Is it the picking up that's a problem or is it finding somewhere for them to go? Could you do compressed days, and share the care?

MrsMuddle Sun 22-Jul-07 16:47:06

Having just re-read my post, I realise I'll probably get slated for leaving a 12 year old in on his own. I'd like to reiterate that he is VERY sensible (he's a boy scout!) and very independent.

AMAZINWOMAN Sun 22-Jul-07 19:53:01

My 12 year old will be OK making his own way home from school and being alone, not sure what to do with my 10 year old though.

What about the holidays? I don't have family support-and leaving my 12 year old alone for a long time I'm not happy with

MrsMuddle Sun 22-Jul-07 20:44:12

I muddle through the holidays, and breathe a sigh of relief at the end. My parents are nearby, so they took them away for a week. They'll be at scout camp for a week. My DH will have a week off and then we'll both have the last week off. The other weeks, they've been farmed out to their friends houses. DH and I leave for work at 7am. They get up between 9 and 10, have breakfast (just cereal), walk to their friends houses and text me when they're there. They also both play golf, so that's another option - getting up, going to the golf course, having lunch there and coming home about 4. This all sounds like I never see them, but when I say a week, I mean my working week, which is 3 days. Does your 12 year old have a friend you can either have a reciprocal arrangement with or else perhaps you could pay another mum to keep an eye on your 12 year old. Or could you look into term-time working? What sort of work are you looking for?

nannynick Sun 22-Jul-07 20:44:29

If someone pays a deposit for a Sofa, then change their mind, then they do not have a right to that deposit back - see ConsumerLine: Deposit Goods
ComsumerLine: Deposit Goods/Services

Speak with NCMA legal, especially if you used an NCMA contract.

nannynick Sun 22-Jul-07 20:45:05

Opps, sorry - wrong thread

nannynick Sun 22-Jul-07 20:48:39

For school holidays, how about trying a combination of different things such as:

Scout/Guide Camp
Activity Day camps

Finding a childminder who will do after-school care and care during the holidays may be your best option - if your children don't mind being around younger children, and if childminders in your area are keen on having after-schoolers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now