Talk

Advanced search

Would you take a pay cut and go from a professional position to a non professional position with no possible increase to be happy in work?

(17 Posts)
Lillycake Fri 31-May-19 11:56:49

Im thinking about not continuing with my mental health nursing (just qualified) as i can't work in mental health to work in a different support role. Nursery or family support. Meaning it wouldn't be a professional position and the income would be approximately 4 - 5 k less a year.
Has anyone done this and now feel happier?

OP’s posts: |
JoMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 31-May-19 13:34:06

Bumping this thread for you, OP.

JoMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 31-May-19 16:33:16

And again!

Stuckforlong Fri 31-May-19 17:46:11

Was in a similar position. What I have decided to do is gain experience in a different sector but slightly relatable.

Stuckforlong Fri 31-May-19 17:49:14

I was going to train to be a Social Worker but have ended taking a break . I was on a low income for a while and very unhappy hours were long affected my study etc . So found something else where I could still offer support and I have with a bigger salary . Also my employer is happy to support me with any training relatable which my previous employer had no interest or care for

MooBaaLaLaLa Fri 31-May-19 17:58:34

Definitely, there's more to life than money. If you can afford to pay the bills then I'd consider it.

DH took a step down from management and a pay cut in order to work less hours as he wanted to be around more for DS.

rightsideofherstory Fri 31-May-19 19:02:13

Depends on what you want to do later in life.

user1487194234 Sat 01-Jun-19 02:27:08

Personally no
Worked hard for my position and no way I would give it up
Also would find it too hard to work under someone that I was as qualified as
I would go the other way and try and move up the ladder as in my experience the more senior you are the more flexibility you have

BlueStockingUK Sat 01-Jun-19 02:42:04

100% YES
Regional Manager over 15 years. graduate/professional development
Buzzword Burned Out
Now work part time locally.
You cut your cloth accordingly AND you lose your ego...
I LOVE my job, my free days, my lack of responsibility, my lunch dates, my walks, my lazy days, experimenting with meals/baking, having a naughty nap.
My emotional & mental health has soared.
Much happier, with absolutely no regrets.

Chottie Sat 01-Jun-19 02:44:48

Yes. In a heartbeat. Your mental health and wellbeing are paramount.

WonkyDonk87 Sat 01-Jun-19 08:28:41

As soon as we can afford it then I'll be ditching my MH nursing career. Run for the hills OP!

EvaHarknessRose Sat 01-Jun-19 08:44:04

If you are young or have young children you might be sacrificing more than that wage now - also all your future progression and pay and additional pension. Money certainly isn’t everything, but i have to say i have wanted to give it up many times, even recently, but i have suddenly hit a patch in my forties when my kids are older, my salary is satisfying, and i enjoy the job more than ever. You don’t say, why you can’t work in it - is there a possibility of finding a niche in MH nursing that you might enjoy, a learning disability or similar role for example, or older adults.

BlueBrushing Sat 01-Jun-19 10:40:36

No.

Babyroobs Wed 05-Jun-19 00:27:35

Yes I have given.up a nursing career for the sake of my mental and physical health. I now work in a different field for less money.

AlecOrAlonzo Wed 05-Jun-19 07:27:58

I gave up a professional job when we moved and had dc3. I've been trying to get back into it but nothing permanent so far.

Pros: here for the kids; help my parents; on lots of committees; can walk the dog/do housework etc.

Cons: we are living hand to mouth; it's a bit boring sometimes; worried about pension

I have been doing casual, low paid work interspersed with bits of my old job when I can get it. I've thought about doing waitressing or something like that on a more permanent basis but the pay is so low and it would mean I couldn't do the bits of professional work I have been able to. Also that low paid work wouldn't really cover childcare costs.

Working in a stressful job is hard but so is trying to make ends meet. It gets really tedious never having treats. The mental stimulation of a professional job is also to be considered. The grind of kids and house can really get you down.

justaperson Wed 05-Jun-19 17:17:10

I recently gave up a not professional but a decent-ish job with career prospects (and stress) to do a more basic admin type job. It's been tough to let go of something I sometimes enjoyed but that also made me depressed and stressed a lot of the time. I miss making use of my brain, plus the job I've taken on is kind of tedious and annoying if I'm honest. I don't really have the qualifications to go back to my role as worked my way up (stupid of me) so feel I'm now stuck in admin.

It does worry me that I'm throwing any sort of decent job/future away and will be reliant on my husband (who I'm grateful to say is very supportive). I'm tempted to actually take a hiatus to spend time with the kids and then train as something else a bit later in life when I can focus more on work, but the thought of that is scary, for the reasons others have put - money, pension, independence, future etc... Equally I feel I'm missing out on spending decent/happy time with the the kids and am conscious that in my early 40's that this part of my life won't last forever and people do change careers later in life.

It's a very personal decision and you can only do what seems right for you. I realised I am not an ambitious person and my job was really making me depressed. I'm still not 100% sure it was the right thing to do and still have days where I regret leaving my 'proper' job if I'm honest.

How much longer is the training OP? Perhaps if you have an end date in sight you might feel you can make it through and come out the other side? I would say if you can get through and be qualified at least you have that to fall back on (that's one of my main worries, that I have no qualifications in the area I worked, so now that door has closed)...

IQuit3 Tue 11-Jun-19 22:06:34

mental health nurse here and I am thinking about doing the same but would be tight financially. I definitely would on a heartbeat if I had more money. The stress and responsibility is too high

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in