What to do next?

(2 Posts)
BrizzleM Wed 29-May-19 10:42:23

I got made redundant on maternity leave when my baby was 10 months old. I planned to return to work after a year at 3 days per week. I had already paid a hefty deposit on a highly regarded childminder for two days per week of care (family to do the other day).

Now that I'm redundant I just don't know what to do. I'm an accountant and the part time jobs I see are really poorly paid or are 4 days per week which is more than I want to do. I can't cancel my childcare without then having no childcare if I get a job.

I'd like to be a school bursar or business manager (primarily for the hours and more family friendly environment) but I'm not seeing any roles apart from one which I still haven't heard back from.

My other option is trying to go self employed but I will have to pay hefty fees plus I think being self employed might be hard for when/if I have second baby and want maternity leave.

Has anyone been in similar situations and got any advice? I just feel a bit useless and depressed. Any advice on getting a job in a school? Or any advice on managing being self employed and maternity leave?

OP’s posts: |
JoMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 29-May-19 11:52:35

Bumping this thread for you, OP - hopefully some MNers will be along shortly with some advice and support. flowers

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in