Talk

Advanced search

Proactively approaching employers. Need a few tips.

(3 Posts)
PositiveDiscipline Wed 17-Apr-19 09:40:15

In the past I have always found my own jobs or been headhunted. I'm quite proud of the fact that I've found most of my own jobs by being proactive, but TBH the roles I did involved being very proactive or you failed as they were very sales focused.

I've been out of it for a while and also worked overseas so I am a bit rusty when it comes to the UK and it's recruitment practises.

I have come up with a shortlist of companies and their managers. These are small companies which are quite local. The people who work there need to be very proactive, smart and professional. Normally I would print off my CV and cover letter and post it to them. Also, someone recently said to me that the best thing about me, is me. What she mean't was that in person I come across really presentable and personable I scrub up well.

My Q's are:

1) Is it old fashioned to send a CV and cover letter in the post now. I can get the email address no problem. I just think it is so easy to click and dump but I don't want to come across as a dinosaur.

2) Photos with CV's? Old hat and not the done thing. The alternative is that I could put a social media link (which one) if they wanted to have a nosey.

Any suggestions?

OP’s posts: |
JenniferJareau Wed 17-Apr-19 09:57:16

I was job hunting last year and didn't send cold CV's and cover letters. The companies just say to look online and apply when jobs become available.

Photos with a CV is not the done thing it the UK.

Have you tried LinkedIn? That is good for networking and finding new opportunities.

MrsHS Fri 26-Apr-19 16:26:12

Hi,

There's a free webinar series on job hunting which will tell you just what you need to do, coming from experts supporting mums back to work. The first one is next week, you can sign up here.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in