Talk

Advanced search

Part time self employed cleaning

(9 Posts)
Billyjoe10 Tue 09-Apr-19 15:13:25

Hi hope someone can help or has some more information on this. I've been sahm since my children were born and now a single mum. Youngest is now in full time school and job centre are pushing for me to get part time work. I'm also keen to work but admittedly very nervous about getting back into it and lack of childcare. I feel I've found the perfect job it's cleaning holiday cottages and I can get my 16 hours in while they are with their dad on the wknds. I would have to be self employed though and then I would have working tax credits to top up my earnings. Does this sound OK and workable?

OP’s posts: |
Livedandlearned Tue 09-Apr-19 21:14:12

Yes definitely, as long as he is reliable with having the kids every weekend.

Billyjoe10 Tue 09-Apr-19 21:31:48

Great thanks! Is it complicated setting up as self employed? Where do I start? Thanks for the reply

Livedandlearned Tue 09-Apr-19 21:44:35

I don't remember it being complicated, and tax credits shouldn't be tricky if you're being paid the same amount regularly.

Keep your receipts for fuel and any expenses, plus proof of your earnings, like a bank statement for when you do your self assessment next April.

Good luck!

www.gov.uk/set-up-sole-trader

Billyjoe10 Wed 10-Apr-19 07:13:01

Wow thankyou that's really useful. Would I be entitled to any help with childcare costs if I ever had to pay for it?

Livedandlearned Wed 10-Apr-19 10:26:15

I genuinely don't know but I would have thought you'd be entitled to the same as an employed person. There are a couple of sites that might help: entiltledto.co.uk and turn2us.co.uk.

Billyjoe10 Wed 10-Apr-19 10:29:38

Also to get working tax credit I need to work 16 hours, if there is a week I don't do 16 hours will it affect the tax credit? Once you start do they need to see every pay slip or can I get away with a quiet week here and there? And just tighten the belt a bit?

Livedandlearned Wed 10-Apr-19 16:26:07

I've never had to prove how many hours I've done to hmrc, I suppose that it's up to me to do the hours, because if I don't then I get less wages.

If you do less one week then you might do more another so it may average out at 16pw anyway.

Billyjoe10 Wed 10-Apr-19 18:27:42

Yes I suppose so, just so much I'm worrying about! Maybe it will work out OK anyway, thankyou!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in