Talk

Advanced search

Depression and poor work history - how to get on (any) ladder?

(5 Posts)
DepressionIsAMonster Tue 02-Apr-19 07:08:50

NC’ed for this as so outing - any input from wise MNetters would be welcomed.

DH has had depression and poor mental health since his teens - suicidal and on medication at various points, as well as different kinds of therapies with limited success.

Whittling all of this into a succinct post - he’s extremely intelligent (iq over 150) and one of the smartest people I’ve ever met, but he has terrible self esteem and no resilience at all. He got into 3 of the world’s top universities, but never obtained a degree due to above issues. He held a job as a content writer for a year and it was the happiest, most alive I’ve seen him, but the contract ended and he couldn’t find a similar role.

He’s handed in hundreds of CVs at coffee shops, bookshops, bars etc - all of whom look dubious at his lack of experience and don’t ever call back. He’s applied for content jobs and got knocked back before interview for lack of degree (he tends to do really well at interview stage but can’t often get there). Of course, this all perpetuates the cycle of feeling like a failure etc! After a few months where he’d started writing again and, I thought, was feeling ok about the job hunt, a long conversation the other day showed this isn’t the case. He went back to the doctor yesterday and has a prescription for anti-ds, which will hopefully help regulate his feelings again.

If you’ve made it this far (thank you), can anyone suggest any kind of work I could suggest to him or ways into some of the areas of work I mentioned? At this stage, he just needs something with low pressure that allows him to feel he’s contributing to the family finances and can build up his confidence - I really feel if he could do that, he could springboard back into the content / copy editor roles he really wants to be in.

OP’s posts: |
azulmariposa Tue 02-Apr-19 07:29:10

He could be a freelance writer. Then he can work when he wants and without having to submit a cv each time.

Have a look at this, a few years old, but has some good advice:
https://www.theguardian.com/careers/careers-blog/how-become-freelance-writer-graduate-journalism

DepressionIsAMonster Tue 02-Apr-19 12:45:02

Thanks Azul, that’s a really interesting idea. I had thought of it before, but didn’t realise there was such a prolific freelance market. I’ll pass it on.

Any other thoughts from anyone else? Or tips as to how to break into the freelance writer world?

DepressionIsAMonster Tue 02-Apr-19 19:04:08

Bump for the evening crowd!

Hollowvictory Tue 02-Apr-19 19:08:08

Has he thought of doing voluntary work it would give him something recent to put on his cv.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in